Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google accounts on writely!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Friday, September 15, 2006
17 years ago3,554 views

I think I've actually found something :D Go to https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=writely
you can try logging in but it wont let you yet.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

nevermind, I just found out this isn't new, silly me.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

wait, if you take a look at it now, they've updated the page to make it look just like the writely homepage. they must be releasing it soon!

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It still looks ugly.

The interface better be changed.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i agree. Writely in it's current state if very "ungoogly" but I'm sure that will change. same goes for orkut.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Haha Orkut, When was the last time it was updated again ?

Seriously Google should concentrate more on Orkut (although its a 20% Project)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Today.

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/09/view-your-friends-on-map-in-orkut.html

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

nice find! but yes although orkut is updated every once in a while it needs a total make over.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

but ionut are you are able to delete a set of selected messages in orkut ?

i thought that bug will be fixed soon but it was not yet and my orkut inbox is flowing with mails.,... i need to delete each other seperately

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

same, I've emailed them about it but they must be preoccupied with something. Maybe they're just going to go with a total redesign of orkut! because they seem to pay less attention to orkut than anything else, but maybe it's because they're just working on one big total redesign of the site. If they do that they should definitely integrate as many google services as possible. Social networking could allow them to use google video (just like myspace has videos), google calendar (for an orkut calendar for your orkut friends), blogger (for orkut blogs), google maps (which as ionut pointed out is already there), picasaweb (for peoples pictures or just a link to their web albums from their profile), google page creator (or something like it to customize peoples pages), dodgeball (to connect friends in the real world), gtalk (for orkut messenger). And I'm sure they have more services coming.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sankar, Can you mark multiple messages as Read or Unread in Orkut (I can't) ?

Ionut, I noticed that yesterday. Was kind of embarrassed about this message. Anyhow do you know if it an official Google product or just a 20% one.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I believe it's a 20%

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So I'm assuming that Orkut Büyükkökten is the only one working on it.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No, I doubt that. I think that it was supposedly a 20% project way back during analyst day but it's probably moved up since then behind the scenes.

Anyways, back to the topic of Writely-- the laast writely blog post was a month ago today, announcing the opening of registration, maybe writely will be released with google accounts at midnight tongiht (which is actually 3am for me because of a time zone difference, becaise I've noticed google like releasing new products, services and stuff on mondays. I wonder if writely will be any different with google accounts and look more like google spreadsheets or google calendar. Right now i think writely is ugly and not very "clean" but given the updated layout of https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=writely i guess they're going to deal with looks later on.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ya the updates must be very soon. The Writely did say that updates are in Fall.

"And there'll be more improvements coming in the fall – we can hardly wait!
"

http://writely.blogspot.com/2006/07/waitlist-invitationsgo.html

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yes! i observed that when it was posted and fall is upon us!
(although not technically until the 23rd)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I still haven't gotten the email. Anyone speculate why they're not planning to clean up writely's ugliness?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

alright i just got the email! I also managed to get a writley account using a google group email address (xxxxxxx[put at-character here]googlegroups.com) what will hapen when they migrate to a google account?

Danny [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

googlegroups email on writely? Has anyone else done this? I might give it a try and see what happens for myself

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Please comment on this thread (the lastest on Writely). Thk you

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/68163.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!