Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Google Page Creator] Create a new site [with a different address]

Arun Kumar Alwala [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, September 21, 2006
17 years ago3,711 views

Create a site with a different address now available in Google Page creator with the same Google account.

I have created two new sites.

http://googleweb.googlepages.com/create.jpg
http://www.googlepages.googlepages.com/googlepages.jpg

[Title updated – Tony]

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(Sorry the title's so messy – it's policy at the moment to keep the original title of a thread and add any clarification in brackets...)

Their "check availability" feature's a little buggy. Sometimes it says an address is available when it's not.

Whilst they disallow any names that are either already Gmail username or Picasa Web Albums nicknames, they do seem to be allowing addresses with "Google" in them, which you can't do in Gmail.

It's also a little poor that you can't delete or change the address of a site once you've created it.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

There indeed still some bugs in the process, but it seems that you receive 100 MB for each site you create, I think that's great!

17 years ago #

Does anyone know how many sites you can create? It seems as though it could be unlimited (for now at least)...

BTW, the link to "Create a site with a different address" has disappeared for me.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The restrictions as Tony states above really mean that there are few addresses left! But if you can find an address then this new feature overwrites the previous concern people had about privacy and their Gmail address being exposed by the service.

P.S. The examples (eve & frog) are silly. It has to be 6+.

17 years ago #

If it is 5 that is still 500 MB of decent web storage. I wouldn't use the actual service itself. But using it as a place to dump files is nice.
--
Also limited to 5 here (just got there).

17 years ago #

<< BTW, the link to "Create a site with a different address" has disappeared for me. >>

I'm stupid. It's disappeared because I've created 5 sites. (Although I'm sure it was still there earlier... so maybe they only just limited it to 5?)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

===>> "using it as a place to dump files is nice"

thats what I have been doing for all my png / jpegs .. its easy and I can hotlink anyhere

17 years ago #

I have samdavyson, samdavyson1, samdavyson2, samdavyson3, samdavyson4.

Yeah I am going to start doing that Peter.

17 years ago #

Since you can choose nicknames/addresses/aliases in Picasa Web Albums and Google Page Creator that effectively take them out of the list of available Gmail / Google Account usernames, why don't they allow you to create aliases for your Gmail account?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

you gmail account is the seed value for all other services options.. this is like meta data.. which is used for other services.. if this changes and becomes complex with aliases..then it could impact ID mangement..

andway that why, I would not use aliases for the source seed value

17 years ago #

/pd – I think you're overcomplicating things. What I'm proposing would mean that your username would never change, but in Sam's case (for example) he would be able to send mail to samdavyson or samdavyson5 and it would still land in his primary samdavyson Gmail mailbox. (It would just work like sam.davyson or samdavyson does at the moment.)

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] Sam Davyson

i dont know if google Pagecreator is useful to me, but as you mentioned its a nice place to dump my files ..........

17 years ago #

Tony you are right. I mean as far as I am aware someone trying to register samdavyson1[put at-character here]gmail.com would now fail. Correct?

So why not let that mail come straight at me. The address is redundant. No one else can get it. And I can't give it back.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sam – your wrong.. "samdavyson1gmail.com " is available for registeration..

17 years ago #

/pd – Did you actually try to register that or just rely on the "check availability" feature? I found that this seems to lag behind a bit. If you click the button to actually create the account, I bet it won't let you do it.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No.. I checked the availablity only.. and went thru the regiastration process..but without captcha.. and it prompted me to enter again..

As such, I dont want to infringe on sam's handle.. but I think am pretty confident that I can create it if need be

17 years ago #

<< I think am pretty confident that I can create it if need be >>

I was so confident that I couldn't create it, I just tried... ;-)

<< samdavyson1 is not available, but the following usernames are:

davysonster
davysonenator
davysonorama
davysonmeister >>

And that's despite it saying "samdavyson1 is available" when using the "check availability" feature.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh ok.. you went thru that excise then.. so why is google indicating its avialalbe and yet does not complete the account creation process ??

What happens of I dissect samdavyson1111[put at-character here]gmail.com ?

17 years ago #

samdavyson1111 is fine I think. But any names that I have bagged in Google Pages can't be taken.

It seems the "check availability" on Gmail only checks Gmail addresses rather than the full load (Google Pages / Picasa).

The point Tony made before is still true. Why don't I get samdavyson1[put at-character here]gmail.com's mail?

17 years ago #

<< It seems the "check availability" on Gmail only checks Gmail addresses rather than the full load (Google Pages / Picasa). >>

Not necessarily. I think they just sync it every so often. Some of the Picasa nicknames I added ages ago are unavailable according to both the Gmail and Google pages "check availability" feature.

<< Why don't I get samdavyson1[put at-character here]gmail.com's mail? >>

I guess even if they did allow you to add aliases, they probably wouldn't automatically send any mail to the Picasa nicknames or Google Pages addresses to your mailbox. One reason people wanted to be able to create Google Pages addresses was so that their addresses wouldn't get farmed, so this wouldn't be desirable. You should definitely be able to select which of your nicknames / addresses you want to receive mail from though – and be able to add / delete more aliases as you wish. It is in Google's interest to do this really as people will currently just create multiple Gmail accounts (even though they're not permitted by the Ts&Cs) and forward the mail to their preferred account. They could even limit it to 5 or 10 aliases or something.

BTW, have you noticed that your Picasa Web Album nicknames are listed in your Google Accounts area? Google Page Creator addresses aren't however...

17 years ago #

Yeah it would be good if Google could have aliases as a choice. Having them by default, as you point out, would ruin the point of allowing extra "sub domains" (to protect people's privacy).

Yahoo I believe gives you one extra alias. I just chose my normal one with a dot in, since they don't have the "ignore-the-dot" feature there.

I only have one Picasa Web Albums nickname. What is the point of creating more? Do you get more storage for that?!

17 years ago #

<< I only have one Picasa Web Albums nickname. What is the point of creating more? Do you get more storage for that?! >>

Nope... I guess it's just for the kids who get bored with their nickname and decide they want a new one... and then decide they liked their old one after all! You can just switch between them whenever you like. Seems a bit pointless to me.

[Updated to include more of Sam's comment – Tony]

17 years ago #

Or for the small businesses that want to have separate sites for their products.

17 years ago #

Ionut, Sam and I were referring the Picasa Web Albums – I've updated my comment a little bit to reflect this – we're a bit off-topic, so I apologise!

Unless, of course, you know of any small businesses that use Picasa Web Albums to sell their products, in which case they couldn't have separate sites anyway... ;-)

17 years ago #

Sorry, I only read your comment, Tony.

I have more than one nickname in PWA [picasa web], but it's strange that only my active nickname and my Google username work. I thought all of them should work.

Arun Kumar Alwala [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I have created only 4 pages and the link to create new page has disappeared. May be including with my google account's page it is five.

17 years ago #

Correct Arun – you can create only five sites in total (including your original one).

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wait I have a question (The above discussion is overcomplicating stuff).

So if I create an alias "qwerty" in picasa, it disappears in page creator and gmail ? And this is same for any services ?

So won't they run out of usernames faster (Compared to others)

17 years ago #

Sohil – you're absolutely correct.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!