Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[ot] facebook and Yahoo

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, September 21, 2006
17 years ago3,110 views

The WSJ is reporting that US Social Networking site Facebook is in serious talks to sell itself to Yahoo, for an amount that may be as high as $1 billion.

....so far its rumour only..!!

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

WSJ is usually well informed. I don´t understand the Yahoo strategy. Why the hell such a huge company has to buy every hype web x.0 site which goes around? flickr + del.icio.us + facebook + some smaller acquisitions... why, why, why? They are expensive, without interesting technology, with unstable community of users and they are really poorly integrated into other Yahoo services. Yahoo should decide what they want to do and do it as well as they can. Not buy anything where buzz is around.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yahoo has picked up a lot of sites in the past (and done not much at all with them).

Eg. Flickr, Del.icio.us, Upcoming, Kelkoo

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]jilm:

Google is not innocent with this either. What were they thinking with Dodgeball and where is MeasureMap?

17 years ago #

Peter beat the CrunchMaster: http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/09/21/facebook-and-yahoo-in-acquisition-talks-for-1-billion/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hehehe.. I bleed infonuggets :)_

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=gmail&q=infonuggets

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sam: I think better example is Blogger and maybe Picasa too. But in general, Google doesn´t acquire expensive companies. Dodgeball and MeasureMap weren´t big deals I think. So they can simply abandon them without regrets.

17 years ago #

Surely any purchase whatever the price is regretable if it doesn't come off?

You are right the examples I chose were not really anything like the $1 bill mark. And the examples you chose are slowly being integrated into other Googly goodness as we speak.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, but you can buy dozen small companies with small projects and if some of them turn into something really great then you could be happy even if the rest show unuseful. But whem you buy facebook or YouTube... you has to have a plan how to use it, you cannot just sit a look. Facebook is now quite succesfull and popular service and I´m not sure how far its growing could continue. Why to buy something, what is expensive an have unsure future?

John Marshall [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Doesn't Microsoft have a deal to serve facebook ads?
What would happen with that if Yahoo bought facebook?
Would Microsoft continue to serve them even though yahoo has their own ad engine?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What would happen if MSFT bought out YHOO for a couple of Billions ?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Would the Judicial Branch approve it (Microsoft-Yahoo) ?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

measuremap may not be open yet but it serves an obvious purpose. dodgeball also isn't really doing anything right now but a lot of google services use texting and such so considering that and the time that google has had to tinket with dodgeball they might already have something brewing. anybody want to do a little investigation to see if there anything hidden on dodgeball.com?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Something like Orkut + Complementing Google Services + Dodgeball ?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

quite possibly

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!