Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Extra-Large Google Snippets?  (View post)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Monday, September 25, 2006
17 years ago10,601 views

This just looks like a bug to me. The snippets text in the screenshots is just the same text repeated over and over...

17 years ago #

(Of course, it could be a GreaseMonkey script that's causing this bug too...)

Maxim R. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I do not use GreaseMonkey scrit. Some forum user from that thread also see the changes. The same results appear as well in IE and Firefox browsers.

Domisto [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nevermind the cause, I think this would make a great google feature in the future. While it should never be the default, being able to increase the Snippet length as an option would improve the usefulness of searching in many contexts, especially academic.

Jon Henshaw [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I like the idea of them doing that though. If it could be used intelligently, and only for well trusted sites, I wouldn't mind a little more description. It would make it less of a fish hunt than it is right now.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I wonder whether those snippets are "fair use" tho :)

17 years ago #

If normal snippets are fair use, *those* snippets will be fair use too since they're just the usual snippet text repeated over and over... ;-)

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I haven't been able to recreate those snippets either..

17 years ago #

> If normal snippets are fair use, *those* snippets
> will be fair use too

Yeah my reply was more to the people wishing for this feature in the future :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh ok so how many lines would be considered "Fair Use" ?? How much can google display as part of the rezults

17 years ago #

<< In general, the less that is used in relation to the whole, e.g., a few sentences of a text for a book review, the more likely that the sample will be considered fair use. >>

Hmm. What if the entire contents of a page were displayed in a snippet? The search user would have no reason to visit the website. Surely this wouldn't be fair use at all. And since all pages vary in length, Google couldn't just say "X lines" or even "X words" would be fair use. (In theory, this could even happen now.) Perhaps they'd have to come up with some way of showing a % of the total number of words in the page as a maximum. Which I doubt they'd realistically bother doing...

17 years ago #

Well, right now Google is actually republishing the full content of pages... via their cache feature. I never understood how that's OK with common copyright laws.

17 years ago #

Good point, although webmasters can disable this if they want. However, I don't think it's possible to disable snippets from showing whilst still allowing your content to be fully indexed.

17 years ago #

Yeah, but copyright laws aren't "opt-in" right? I mean I think the cache is cool, and I wish stuff like this which doesn't harm another publisher would be always legal in copyright laws, I just don't understand how this is legal within the current system. I asked Lawrence Lessig about this in January though I didn't hear back from him on this (note: even though he always has a lot to do he does indeed answer most emails, so this ain't no complaint :)).

George R [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

An author can instruct Google to not show snippets or cache a file according to the below Google help files.
Perhaps a cache is actually created within Google but not made public.

<META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOSNIPPET">
"Note: removing snippets also removes cached pages."

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOODP">
<META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOODP">

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35304

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35264

17 years ago #

I didn't know that was possible... thanks George R.!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!