Google Blogoscoped

Forum

More spam in gmail inbox?

David Ortmann [PersonRank 1]

Monday, September 25, 2006
17 years ago4,316 views

Hello there.
For some days, I am having far more spam in my gmail inbox than ever before – does anyone know why this is? Do the spammers find better ways to get around the gmail filters?

I have been very proud of gmails anti-spam abilities in the past...

Greetings,
David

Demen [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I myself have not gotten much spam (and all has been redirected by gmail) but I recently heard that to trick gmail the spammers were pasting screenshots of their messages into the message with a legit sounding subject line. Can anyone back me up?

Demen

David Ortmann [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Hi Demen,
yes, I got a lot of them the other day, but gmail seems to be able to detect them now.
No, obviously I get text-only spam that has some random literature text at the end, like this:

Hi,
We've attempted to contact you to refin ance your home. Your current lo an
has been pre-approved for a lower rate.

Visit here to confirm your informationation within 24 hours.
http://mx.geocities.com/foster46_c69/

Regards,
--Odis Souza,
Account Manager

fighting for survival” Buffalo Soldier Marley speaks to those who feel oppression, and also those who sympathize with it. Many ofprove to be effective in terms of reinforcing the beliefs already held by movement members and sympathizers. Rarely do such songs His efforts towards peace rewarded him; he was declared Jamaica’s “Man of the Millennium” and his album Exodus was given the honor

David, hating spam

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Actually, I noted an increase in spam tis weekend.. Friday evening to sunday evening.. my gmail spam was flooded with over 540 emails.. tis the highest watermark reached within a 48 hr cycle.!!

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Me too. Actually Spam + Phishing.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

and spam for mee... i tooo get more spam mails and Phising especially phishing filters ...... its weak in gmail...

whereas in yahoo and live mail i think its quite good....

Jenny [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hmm...that's weird. I don't get a lot of spam. I get 1-2 spam emails every two days or so, but that's it!

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Jenny, You get more spam if you've exposed your email. Like on Blogs, Forums etc., or anywhere for the Public to see.

Jenny [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

"Jenny, You get more spam if you've exposed your email. Like on Blogs, Forums etc., or anywhere for the Public to see."

Yeah, I'm aware of this. =O) That's why I don't "expose" my email address(es). When I DO post my email address on websites/etc, I use graphics or write, "myname AT gmail DOT com".

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> myname AT gmail DOT com

Uhm, I'm pretty sure that one is easy for spammers to parse...

Jenny [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Really? But I seriously only get 1-2 spam emails per every two days! Lucky me!

Spammers work really hard. LOL Why would spammers send spam? I never open their emails.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've been getting a lot more, too.

17 years ago #

Not here. I get dozens in my inbox everyday and uncounted many in my spam box but this has been like this for a while... :)

Natasha [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mr. Lenssen,
I noticed your comment that if we took some pictures while visiting the Googleplex, we might be able to be let in as a Google Blogoscoped journalist? Can you give me more information on that? What can I do to get in and get a tour?? Thanks!

17 years ago #

Natasha: it's not a general or official rule, no, and it might not even work. But email me to discuss the details...

Richard L. Brandt [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I doubt very much that it would work.

I'm a journalist, and several of the top execs at Google know me. They know I'm working on a book about Google. One day I decided to walk around the Google campus just to take some notes on the GooglePlex.

There are guards at both entrances to the parking lot. They'll stop you whether you try to walk in or drive in. I managed to drive in by dropping the name of a Google PR person I knew. Then I started my walk.

After about five minutes, a Googler approached me and asked if I needed help. After another five minutes, one of the security guards in the parking lot spotted me and demanded ID. I explained that I was just getting a little color for my book and mentioned the names of a few Google people who know I'm working on it. But he took my reporters' notebook and wouldn't give it back. A voice came over his walkie-talkie asking if anyone had seen the stranger walking around campus, picked up by security cameras. He radioed back that he had the guy there.

Two different security guards arrived by bicycle and examined my notebook. Then finally a senior PR person showed up, looked at the notebook, and confirmed by walkie-talkie that people there knew me. He gave the notebook back to me and gave me permission to walk around but told me I could NOT talk to anyone I met.

I went on my way.

Terry [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I too have been getting a lot of spam in my gmail inbox lately. It is a real pain. I am wondering why Google does not simply block all email from IP addresses that are reported as SPAM. Yes, they would have to make sure that it is not just one cranky user. However, that is relatively easy. Establish a number of reports that triggers a banned IP. After several thousand people report that an email is SPAM, just eliminate that IP. Eventually, the spammers will run out of IP numbers.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!