Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Meta] Google Blogoscoped Kicked From Google News  (View post)

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, September 26, 2006
17 years ago6,497 views

that sucks .. now they've lost the best Google News website out of their database...

Rob DeWitt [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It's still showing up in the Google Desktop Web Clip pane, which is where I came here from.

By the way, I kicked Google News itself out of my Web Clips, because there's no way to turn off Sports there, as you can in Google News itself.

17 years ago #

GDS Web clips pane just read the most frequent RSS feeds that are detected while u are browsing through websites.. if u browse torrentspy.com u'll start seeing torrents in Web Clips

Thomas Hofmann Online [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

What a pitty! This site ist really(!) one of a few best sites about Google I Know.

Keep it on! You are right.

best wishes, Thomas

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp,

When you do a search in Yahoo! news, you would see a column of news blogs related to your search. Yahoo had removed this feature.

really sorry to hear that your site delisted from Google News.

Would like Google to improve its Google News search by filtering out all the duplicate news.

Ratatösk [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

That's sad, this is how I got to this website.

On other hand it shows the absurdity of this Belgium case.

It just shows that every website owner with with some brain wants to be in google news, and that some other newspaper kick themselves out of google news.....

Too bad that people get kicked out who deserve to be in...

Don [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I love and respect Google's objective algorithms, but have no respect for Google whenever it does anything subjective. Their hand-picked and hand-banned sources for Google News are notorious for double-standards.

alek [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Perhaps they got annoyed because you uncovered just a wheeee bit more than 4,500 sources in Google News (?)

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It happens Philippe, and add to this that I am discovering more weak sites that do not even deserve to be on Google News. I hope you got back there asap.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google said, "We don't include sites that are written and maintained by *individuals*."

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Although I tend to suspect a personal vendetta for all of your critisism of Google and your trademark infringing blog name ;-) I am quite certain that you were kicked out for being a single author blog. Google News does not allow single author publications.
But well, there is hope, my article on the social bookmarking is in the making!
Just consider taking in more authors once again and then reapply.

17 years ago #

Damn, Haochi you were faster!

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This blog is written by one author, but the information is provided by a number of people in this forum

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< I am quite certain that you were kicked out for being a single author blog. >>

Except it's not a single author blog. Not really anyway.

Ironically, I think Philipp and I noticed this when my last guest post (about the internal subdomains) failed to show in Google News. Maybe they don't count "guest posts" as towards their multiple authors criteria... and if that's the case, that's ridiculous! (How often would another author need to post for it to count?)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Ironically, I think Philipp and I noticed this when my last guest post (about the internal subdomains) failed to show in Google News.

Maybe that was the reason...

Steve Bryant [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Ugh, that's ridiculous that you got kicked out. Google News is such a good traffic provider.

If it's any consolation, Google Watch seemed to drop out of Google News for about 2-3 weeks this month, but I think it's back now. I'm not sure why it fluctuates. I do have the benefit of being attached to eWEEK.

FWIW, i've noticed that when Google does list Google Watch in News, it lists posts with headlines that begin with the word Google more frequently than it includes posts that end with the same word. Anecdotal, but whatevs.

With any luck, Blogoscoped will pop back in on its own!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>> Maybe that was the reason...

I hope not!

Philipp, I've just thought – can you check to see when your last referral from Google News was?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony I absolutely don't think your post has anything to do with it... in fact, if anything your post should've kept Google Blogoscoped from being kicked. I only happened to notice it around the time of your posting because I wanted to show you how your article appears in Google News... something I only check for my articles very rarely.

Google now got back to me:

<<We've recently reviewed Google Blogoscoped again and cannot include it in Google News at this time. We don't include sites that are written and maintained by individuals. We also don't include sites which don't have an editorial review policy.

We appreciate your taking the time to contact us and will log your site for consideration should our requirements change.>>

They suggest to me to contact them via
http://www.google.com/support/news_pub/bin/request.py?contact
in the future.

If you disagree with Google's decision that this is a single author blog without editor, you can let them know too – I will. So many of the stories are sent to me by people reading along making me act as editor, and of course there are guest posts too. For those stories that I write, all of you act as editors through the comments. The weird thing is I already explained all of this to them before I was originally included in 2005 and they apparently agreed, or else they wouldn't have included Google Blogoscoped then.

17 years ago #

Sue them!

Just kidding. Who needs Google News anyway?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>>Who needs Google News anyway?

Me.

17 years ago #

Very few people use it.

17 years ago #

> Very few people use it.

Do you have any numbers to prove that?
IMO, and judging by referrer stats, Google News and Google News Alerts is an important research tool for many people (it is for me).

17 years ago #

http://graphics10.nytimes.com/images/2006/07/24/technology/24yahoo_lg.gif

http://weblogs.hitwise.com/bill-tancer/portal%20properties%20table%202.PNG

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You do realise traffic is doubling to Google News every 6 months.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

8,625*1000 = 8,625,000

Not enough English words found, can you please try to change your comment?

Cristian Mezei [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

Philipp, how many referrers/month did you had from Gnews ?

17 years ago #

Yea, who referrs to u more? Google News or direct visits or Google itself or Digg or what?

17 years ago #

Ionut according to the first chart you provided Google News has 8 million users in the US alone? Well, that's a walloping lot to me... and let's not forget Google News articles also appear on top of certain Google search results, a number these services might not measure.

In some weeks Google News sent like 2,500 people over here. And that's just the people clicking through to Google Blogoscoped, a tiny percentage of Google News. IMO a good percentage of those people are interested to gain a deeper understanding of a news story, possibly to get involved, or to research the story for another publication.
Not to mention Google Alerts set up for your own name or company name – what better way is there to reach out to a company then by mentioning them in an article, and then having that article automatically be forwarded to their inbox?

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm a huge user of Google News myself. I am annoyed that Google Blogoscoped got kicked out though. I understand their policy, but I think Phillipp and the guys have proven themselves to be an excellent, reliable and timely source of Google related news.

Tony

17 years ago #

"We also don't include sites which don't have an editorial review policy" – I guess they mean the forum.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!