Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Comcast's users problems with Google (strange)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, September 26, 2006
17 years ago2,875 views

Apparently today Comcast's users could not access Google and YouTube. I read throw digg comments about this issue, and it's quite strange. It clearly wasn't simple connectivity issue between two parts. The facts seem to look like that:

1. Comcast's users could ping Google.
2. The traceroute looked perfectly normal.
3. Some people could access Google's home page, but couldn't access any part that requires login.
4. Some people says that Comcast's users support advised users to use IE instead of Firefox and... in some cases that worked.
5. Deleting cookies worked temporally. After cookies removal users could access Google for a couple of minutes.

So it seems like the cookie were the root of all problems. Connection was fine (facts 1,2), but you had to remove cookies (or switch to the browser that didn't had this cookie at all). That's really strange issue, isn't it?

bbatsell commented on digg:

"It could be something like a bad router dropping packets over X bytes. Deleting cookies reduces the size of the packet sent in a GET request, so the packet gets through the router."

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I wounder whose fault it was. Comcast's users support says that Google's, but that doesn't proof anything...

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Net Neutrality ?

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Related InfoWorld article:

Google sites unavailable in some parts of the U.S.
http://www.infoworld.com/archives/emailPrint.jsp?R=printThis&A=/article/06/09/26/HNgooglenoteverywhere_1.html

RenĂª Fraga [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Google Pages is unavailable in some parts of Brazil... :(

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Net Neutrality ?" that's what i think

even though comcast has not stated that they had a problem with DNS blah blah blah

sounds suspicious to me

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sohil / DPic: i've bet its the beginning forces of Net Neutrality issue from ISP's like Comcast.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!