Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Put Google Gadgets on Your Site  (View post)

Tamar [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, October 3, 2006
17 years ago5,611 views

Nice find! But their weather coverage is totally lacking. How come they don't have widgets for NYC weather?!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"The Google Gadgets API is a simple way to create content and applications that run on multiple Google products, including Personalized Homepage, Desktop, and Pages. In most cases, you can write the gadget once and have it work everywhere, with absolutely no changes."

I think that they meant pages it was the the "pages" product and not generic webpages per sec.. now they have elevated the codebase and trying to generically leverage this across the all webpages.. which by itself is interesting and fun ..just shows that the world is made of midgets.. ahhh actually widgets :)-

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Side-note: it looks like you can't include modules that require inlining.

Also, you can hack the URL so that the border is white, in case of layout problems.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Philipp that border is in your site's CSS..

it happened with my feedbutton too, until I put the!important stuff in there to over-ride whatever your css was doing.

I don't like this being opened up... They need to let the individual webmaster decide whether to include it or not.

For example, one of my sites txt2day.com has a google module (at one point before I took it down it was the #2 most popular)

anyway.. it also has a module for other sites..

the difference is, the one for other sites takes you to a page with ads, whereas the google version just does a submit behind the scenes.

I won't be able to pay bandwith fees if i let any site use it with no ads... thus I've had to disable my widget.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

ryan: I used the txt2day widget a lot at one time.. it was pretty niffty ..!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Philipp that border is in your site's CSS..

That's quite possible, but then the inline styles should overide this (by being more specific or using the important keyword), or a frame should be used (CSS doesn't inherit into iframes). As last resort Google should allow us to tweak the CSS they use by handing out a class reference or tutorial of some sort...

Easterangel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

It doesn't look good on IE.

Hakan Tuncel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

And the blog loads veeerryyy sssllloooowwwly since you embed the module

Steven [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

http://www.drweb.de/weblog/weblog/?p=671: This collection provides a huge list of widgets you can use on your web-site.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!