Google Blogoscoped

Forum

First YouTube now Facebook (Rumors)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, October 12, 2006
17 years ago3,818 views

Oh God!

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/topnews/wpn-60-20061010FirstYouTubeNowFacebookRumorsCirculate.html

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh it could be a Level3 communications too....but thats a whopping amount in the near 6B mark

http://software.gigaom.com/2006/10/10/goobe-whos-next-level-3/

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

could Google really afford to buy Level3 Comms? I thought they were already building there own infrastructure?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How much does Google actually have?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

is it about $9B in cash? i lose track... But level 3 Comms is in 6B of debt as well.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think $10B would be more accurate... Since Google bought YouTube with their stock. Google's market worht is $123B, right?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Haochi, slightly off mark :)-

Mkt Cap: 129.81B

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Eh Give or take a 6 bill. ;)

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google must stop all this stuff......instead of buying another social networking lets put a pause and

concentrate on R&D of thier exisiting products...

Jenny [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think Google should buy the Facebook... since Orkut is just so... ugly! lol

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

what is wrong with them buying facebook? they already have great R&D. why not get some extra traffic, and a social networking site people actually use. facebook with big integration with youtube & google video, blogger, gmail, calendar, maps/local search and groups. (all with a facebook feel) integration with dodgeball. add a touch of adsense (text and video, maybe even online radio too) now that to me sounds like a winning site, with something and everything for someone.

JennyPenny [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Yeah, "dpneal", I agree with everything you said. If Google buys Facebook, maybe I'll start using it again. LOL If Yahoo buys it, I'm not gonna use it. =O(

I think Google REALLY needs a new social networking product. Yahoo has 360 and Microsoft has Windows Live Spaces that allows you to add "Friends".

So are they gonna buy it or what? Any new news?

Gary Price [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What happened to last week's report (in several places) that Google was going to focus on search? See:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-google6oct06,1,1629177.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

Sergey adds:
"We don't want people to have to learn about 20 different products that work in 20 different ways," Brin said. "I was even getting lost."

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Touche Bien , Gary!! :)-

Jenny [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Well, if they aren't going to buy the Facebook, they should concentrate on making their products' interfaces nicer. I hate the blue and grey they use on nearly all of their products.

I hope Google changes the Gmail interface to something like Yahoo! Mail Beta's interface. I tried the latest version of the Yahoo! Mail Beta (the one with the calendar bar on the bottom) and it's REALLY nice (and fast).

Gary Price [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks /pd, means a lot.

I think Philipp has been great to me with ResourceShelf and in the past 7 months with Ask. Allowing me to post on non-Google stuff. However, I was just about to give up. In other words, cut back on the posting since many have told me that it's a Google world. Period Maybe. But that doesn't mean other products be it Ask.com. Become.com, and thousand of other specialty databases and tools can't do a great job. Zoho comes to mind. Have you seen the business on the search side companies like FAST Search and Endeca are getting. That's big time $$$.

I don't understand a Web 2.0 issue. SO MANY people are so excited about SO MANY tools, services, etc. but once Google releases something, that's the end of it. Can you say calendar apps and Kiko.com (the named purchased by TuCows).

Yes, some companies like
+ YouTube
+ Writely
+ Dodgeball (that's a name we haven't heard in a while)
+ del.icio.us
+ WebJay
+ Bloglines

do top-notch work and get acquired. But what happens to all of the others once the $$$ runs out? Can everyone get acquired? I doubt it. Can advertising sustain others, a few. Other revenue streams lets say Zillow. Sure. But what about all of the rest?

I also don't understand (OK I sort of do) why Google spends R&D time and money (yes they have plenty) and then goes out and buys YouTube. Did they pay $1.5 billion for the name? Same thing with Web 2.0/Yahoo 360 and del.icio.us. I guess what I'm thinking (I have no answers is with all of this R&D from all of these companies, they go out and acquire similar services.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!