Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps for Treo  (View post)

Adam [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, October 12, 2006
17 years ago7,896 views

I got all excited until I saw that it was from the Palm version of the Treo. Google, please give us 700W users maps!

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I wonder when they'll extend the translucent popups to the other versions of Maps...hopefully it's not a Treo exclusive feature.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've added the word "Palm" before Treo in the post to make this more clear Adam...

Adam [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

After crying for a bit, I did some research and found this for the Windows Mobile:
http://www.viavirtualearth.com/vve/Gallery/VEMobile.ashx

I know its not Google, but it'll work until GMaps gets released.

Hermon [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yap.
Before 10 hours...i wrote on it :"Palm Treo" (At Hebrew).
But, i think that it before 3 days..
http://israblog.nana.co.il/blogread.asp?blog=213241&blogcode=5050247

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Hey, that's close to my name.

Philipp, I've been using google maps for moble on my Samsung i730 with Windows Mobile 5 for a while. You need the IBM Java Framework.

They have pretty good instructions here: http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/518874-post13.html

spike [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

downloaded and tried on my tapwave, and works very well.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Adam I do have Google Maps installed as midlet using a Java framework... the only problem is that it's unusable because for every move on the map I need to approve that Google may connect to the network, and I can't seem to disable this popup (as I could on other phones).

Bill Rodriguez [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

WOW very nice... I have been waiting for this... I use Google maps all the time and now I can use it on my Treo... 

One thing that would be nice is to have favorite places...  

Lydie [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It's indeed very slick and fast. It works very well on my Treo 650.

Tamar [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Looks nice. Thanks for the tip ... I am about to try it on my 650 (after I find my USB cable) :)

Callum Prentice [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Works like a charm on my 700p – the combination of a 320x320 screen and EVDO bandwidth means that it really is pretty slick. No one has mentioned the traffic display yet which is going to be tremendously useful if it's accurate – I'll test that on my way home :) Lots of useful keyboard shortcuts too.

rob williams [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I tried it out on my treo 650 and it works great. I agree Bill that I'd like to be able to save favorites and have a different start location.

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This could be a very useful advertising tool.

I don't think it is available for European maps.
I liked this quote: "And by the way, the "Do not operate while driving" caution is deadly serious. Please be mindful of pedestrians, bikes, cars, and trees – not messages and keyboards."

Jürgen Starek [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

For a long time, I've been thinking about the possibilities a GPS enabled smartphone would hold for increasing the use of buses and trains (German-speaking readers can have a look at my rant on http://jstarek.de/blog/unterwegs/2006-09-24/wozu-opnv-wenns-autos-gibt/).

One of the main hindrances (for me) when deciding whether to take the bus is that often, I know my designation address but not the bus line and the name of the stop I have to get off. Hence, quite some planning before the trip is required.

So, with Google experimenting with the integration of public transport schedules into Google Maps (http://google.com/transit) and an increasing number of GPS enabled smartphones on the market, I can imagine a "public transport routing application" come up. Giving information (voice output?) like "get off this bus at the next stop and take line 17" or "the next train station is 600 m away, third street to the right" and planning alternative routes in case of delays sounds possible to me.

Unfortunately, with Google starting to get into this field, I won't get rich any more ;-)

[Fixed URLs – Tony]

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Wow, Philipp, that's odd. I get that popup once when I start, but only once until I close out of the program and bring it back up.

Rick Nyman [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have been waiting for this eagerly, and I'm not disappointed. While I'd love the ability to open KML files like the full Google Maps does, and saving placemarks would also be really nice, they made a smooth and responsive interface, and they nicely integrated the directions. The satellite view is a nice bonus, too.

If they added the ability to use a GPS and cache tiles for low signal areas, I'd be willing to pay for it.

Rick

Dave Hill [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Glee! Works great on my Treo 650 (and it can be loaded into the expansion card, which is even spiffier).

Garry Galinsky [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Rick, you can open a kml file – in the menu select "find location" and in the location field enter the url to the served up kml file. This works great.

What I'm looking for and hoping someone can help me with is how to send a hyperlink either through an email, link on a webpage, or as a link in an sms which once clicked on by the user will automatically open GoogleMaps and access the kml file from within the hyperlink – any ideas?

Garry

Carlitos [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Upon installing google maps, I was facinated by the software. There was a dropdown munu that provided, "...a lot of extra information available about US cities in Google maps..." i.e. weather, live trafic report, restuarants and so on.

The following day I was not able to access that dropdown menu.

Does anyone have any info. about the aforementioned dropdown menu?

carlitos [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I forgot to mention I am running Google maps on my treo 650.

aDios

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!