Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Friday the 13th

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, October 14, 2006
17 years ago2,168 views

Did anybody know this about yesterday's friday the 13th? http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/13/222223
pretty cool :)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

" Juha-Matti Laurio writes to point out a Washington Times story about how special this particular Friday the 13th is. The digits in the numerical notation for the date add up to 13 — whether you write it in the US or the European form. From the article: "The phenomenon hasn't happened in 476 years, said Heinrich Hemme, a physicist at Germany's University of Aachen who crunched the numbers to find that the double-whammy last occurred Jan. 13, 1520." "

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Heh, good thing I'm not superstitious. If I had been thinking about that, I might not have been able to churn out my paper and submit it yesterday. *sigh of relief*

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Looking at the Slashdot article, either the scientist who calculated it, or, more likely, the journalist who wrote it down, got several numbers wrong. It's not 476 years ago; it's 486 years ago. And at least one more recent date, Jan. 13, 2006, was a Fri. the 13th that had this property, too. I do like this comment on Slashdot by "JohnFluxx" sums (<-bad pun) it up, though: "They were so unlucky that they got the sums wrong!" :D

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!