Google Blogoscoped

Forum

It's Gmail safe?

Gmail3r [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, March 31, 2005
19 years ago

Hello all, my name is Pablo and i have a Gmail account, than i made becouse my Hotmail account of 2Mb was completed and and i had no more place for new e-mails.
My question is.. we know that Gmail is a BETA service, it is sure that sometime the service will be open for all? I mean, i'm afraid that i will save all of my e-mail on Gmail
and someday they will decide to close the beta service? it's posibble?

Thanks a lot :-)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Not very likely to happen, no, unless Google itself closes. But consider the Gmail ToS:
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/terms_of_use.html

"After a period of inactivity, Google reserves the right to disable or terminate a user's account."

"Google may at any time and for any reason terminate the Services, terminate this Agreement, or suspend or terminate your account. In the event of termination, your account will be disabled and you may not be granted access to your account or any files or other content contained in your account although residual copies of information may remain in our system. Except as set forth above or unless Google has previously canceled or terminated your use of the Services (in which case subsequent notice by Google shall not be required), if you have provided an alternate email address, Google will notify you via email of any such termination or cancellation, which shall be effective immediately upon Google's delivery of such notice. "

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

PS: But would you be any safer somewhere else? Probably not. Consider Hotmail:

"Microsoft may terminate this Agreement, or terminate or suspend your access to the MSN Web Sites at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Upon such termination or suspension, your right to use the MSN Web Sites will immediately cease. UPON SUCH TERMINATION OR SUSPENSION, ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE STORED ON THE MSN WEB SITES MAY NOT BE RETRIEVED LATER. "

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Well if you think about it any company would be shooting themselves in the foot to not have that clause? what if there was a/n [insert devestating natural phenomonon here] and the databanks were destroyed etc etc. It would be "Caution: Coffee May Be Hot" all over again.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"It would be "Caution: Coffee May Be Hot" all over again." Time millions of users...

Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

No webmail service is safe. You should have your own mail server.

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Gmail 3r
   backup ur important mails in local storage.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!