What Will Happen to YouTube (Video)

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

Monday, October 16, 2006
17 years ago4,298 views

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UItu93WspwY

Great video

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Horrible video (except for the music). Those who made the video know nothing about Google.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut I think it was meant as a joke.

But yes YouTube (or any other Google Products) will (well they might) never up like that.

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Really? Did they not take Writely and make it Docs? Isn't that the rebranding that this video highlights?

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Actually, watching it again, I think they know plenty about Google. Enough to joke about their propensities and even more to know the final result will be simple and unchanged (spare "by Google")

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Kevin, Writely had a small community (compared to YouTube) and everyone(here atleast) wanted Google to make it a "Google" Product.

For Google to rebrand YouTube into a Google Product is too much of a risk. The Press Release stated that YouTube will not undergo a name change or integration. YouTube engineers will be "working closely with Google".

17 years ago #

No. The video tries to suggest that Google is gonna destroy YouTube with a cluttered interface and a lot of ads. Then, when nobody uses YouTube, they'll go back to the original design.

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Sohil, I agree that they won't do so, but it was a nice critique, regardless.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I realize its a joke but looking at the current YouTube page, it seems pretty darn cluttered anyways. Its not like there aren't ads there anyways. Google was paying for a user base which is loyal to YouTube. It would be 100% counterproductive to eliminate the very site that that userbase is loyal to, no?

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Here is a similar video (which I believe was created by Microsoft employees): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4313772690011721857&q=microsoft+branding

Ionut, to suggest that Google's design history has been flawless is, well, flawed.

Many, including myself, think gVideo didn't take off due to the design. The scaling video screen doesn't induce comments or "stumbling" to new videos.

17 years ago #

<< The scaling video screen doesn't induce comments.

Did you see the comments from Google Video? Mostly spam and garbage.

<< Ionut, to suggest that Google's design history has been flawless is, well, flawed.

Who said that? All I was saying is that the video doesn't have anything from Google's user interface philosophy [ some ideas about it: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6459171443654125383].

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

<<Spam and garbage>> because they failed to create a loyal user base.

Do you really think gVideo has a user-friendly design? This is their 3rd/4th try and I still cannot wander like YouTube?

Another example, Google Reader. The first version was nearly useless as it was just a river without options which failed to utilize the majority of the screen.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Kevin, Ionut isn't saying Google is God. He's just saying that the video doesn't really reflect on Google's UI policies.

It's supposed to be a joke. Knock it off you two. ;)

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This was Digged too, someone has extra time to make these funny videos, do they make videos at work ;-)

http://digg.com/videos_comedy/How_Youtube_Homepage_Will_look_like_in_the_Future

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Alight, I'll knock it off.

But Sohil, Google is God. :)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Horrible video (except for the music). Those who made the video know nothing about Google.

I also think so.

google account yes. layout/design maybe. name/logo maby. other: no. (i hope not)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!