Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google to Double Gmail Capacity

Jason [PersonRank 0]

Friday, April 1, 2005
19 years ago

Google plans to double the free storage on Gmail from 1GB to 2GB. After that they will add storage daily with no plans to stop.

http://shiwej.com/archives/2005/04/01/google-to-double-gmail-capacity/

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

You are currently using 27 MB (3%) of your 1058 MB.

Jason [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

They seem to be increasing it a few MB at a time across all accounts. Up to 1062. This system can then run every night and increase storage daily (I guess) which the cnet article says they plan to do.

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

ya im at 1064 & its going up fairly fast.

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

ok, my math shows about 2 MB/3 minutes so thats what about 24 hrs to get up to 2000 MB? i think so. but if they only do it at night.... I think its funny that this happened so close to Yahoo's finally getting 1GB. I kinda thought this would happen. Is hotmail still giving out 250 MB? and i got a notification from the hotmail people on outlook (i run it occationally just for kicks) and it said that i could no longer use outlook to access my hotmail acct unless i got msn plus or something like that. so they're restricting free features while gmail floods us with storage. i dont get that one.

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Ahh, what a time for the good old cookie to run out:

A Google approach to math.

On the eve of Gmail's one-year birthday, our engineers were toiling away furiously. Notes scribbled all over the walls. Complex calculations on napkins and empty pizza boxes. Millions of M&Ms.

The result?... starting today, we're beginning the roll-out of our new and top secret Infinity+1 storage plan. The key features are:

Write, don't worry.
   You want to stop caring about storage. We want to keep giving you more. Today, and beyond.

The gift that keeps on giving.
   1118.303206 megabytes of storage (and counting) for every user.

No complicated equations. No tough algorithms.
   Just this one graph:

Gmail turns 1 today. And we've always loved a good joke. We know we won't reach infinity, but check out what we will do ...

Piotr Zgodzinski [PersonRank 4]

19 years ago #

You are currently using 73 MB (7%) of your 1123 MB.

:-)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

And the actual amount of storage space you have allocated to you (shown at the bottom of the page once you're logged in) is exactly in sync with the dynamic number that's incrementing on the page before you login!

That's kind of cool...

justin [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Tony is right. i'm up to 1306Mb now, and its still increasing

very cool

Caleb [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

On gmail generation they said that the rate at which the storage is going up it will be done by the end of today *duh* that makes sense. thats why they can show up to the what 6? 8? decimal places on the homepage while logged out.

mark [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Heh. Try setting your system clock to April 2nd, and the login page will say 2GB. Maybe we all already have 2GB, and this gradual increase is just a cute little gag?

Pierre [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I'm a bit sad.The Armageddon is not for today...Tomorrow perhaps ???

Henry [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I have got 1933mb so far, and on the home page it's still going up. Do you think they'll go any further.

mark [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Well, April 2nd, and as promised, it's still counting up!

Having a look at the JavaScript and playing around with the system time, it looks like it's now going up at about 2.5Mb per day. It's currently set to stop at 2075Mb in 10 days time, but they'll probably change that.

To (Infinity+1), it seems!

God [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

G is for Growth!

Gmail is the Best!

Ades [PersonRank 6]

19 years ago #

Great move against Yahoo. As some of you may know, Yahoo has just announced last week that they would give 1Gb for free. Their motivation was to eliminate storage as a criterion for users.

Unfortunately for them, after this move Gmail is still one step ahead... and looks like infinity+1 joke will always ensure this "one step ahead" thing.

By the way, I just looked at my hotmail. It is still 2MB.. I think they hate me :)

So sad for Microsoft. But I can't understand why there are falling this much behind in the race. Hotmail was a hit long ago. Why are they giving the lead to others? They try to compete with others on everything but not on this one.. That 's interesting..

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

I have 250 MB at Hotmail now, but even if they'd give me as much as Gmail, I wouldn't switch back. Gmail's usability is just a different league. They put user-interest in terms of email as priority and treat ads or portal-features as after-thought. This can be seen in various big or small issues. Just think of it: when you log-in to Hotmail, you won't see your complete inbox: instead you'll have a page called "Today", which has links like "Money", "Saturday on MSN", "Shopping", and a large graphic banner. (Similar with Yahoo Mail – lots of animated Flash banners which I simply find annoying.)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!