Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Artistic Abuse of Google Maps  (View post)

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, October 19, 2006
17 years ago4,815 views

why even use a google maps api for this?

Wouldn't it be much easier to just use some javascript to make the same effect... a moveable scrollable type image?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Because the Ajax lets you load the picture on demand as you scroll around, and otherwise gets to avoid loading most of the picture, drastically cutting the load time. (Same idea as with Google Maps...essentially just breaking down a large image into small pieces and only loading what you need).

Michael Caron [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

It's like a high-tech microfische.

pk_synths [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Abuse??? I think the implementation is awesome! I'd love to see museums use this to give users the ability to see high res paintings up close while saving their bandwidth. You can go one step further and activate the zoom for an extra nice feature.

Much better and more useful than loading a 30mg png IMO.

-PK

Peter [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

one thing that would be _really_ tight would be if you could zoom. i use the roller ball on my mouse with google maps to zoom in and zoom out – how cool would that be if you could do the same with this image art stuff?

Mark Thomson [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

You can roll your own with Zoomify, although it's flash based.

Andrew Turner [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

You can also just use Javascript and some CSS to make your own and not fall under Google's terms of use and copyright.

http://www.mapmap.org/ryogm

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm getting this on above URL:

<<HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.>>

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!