Google Blogoscoped

Forum

No More Casual Conversations?  (View post)

paul [PersonRank 0]

Friday, October 20, 2006
17 years ago4,861 views

Paper equivalent – use your own computer, no unencrypted transfers (email, IM, webpages, ftp, ect.), then thermite the hard drive when you get rid of it. Also for anything very secret, use truecrypt.
That is the start of the paper equivalent.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So I have to immediately destroy my hard drive...? (Think of it, you never know when someone might search your computer. I still remember the case of this guy whose computer was searched, and they found searches he did that helped to convict him...)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Use Truecrypt http://www.truecrypt.org/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey Philipp , do you have a carrier pigeon at your end ?? Emails & IM are just too dangerous now!!

FWIW, I dont give a darn where my information resides.. the more that resides everywhere the better off I am. For Information, that is deemed really confidential (Bank/ Visa/ Tax#) etc, I assume that those entities have the abilitiy to "protect" my information or else I sue them!!

As for the Google farms, what may trouble me is the "electonic vaulting" methods and how much information in back storage will they continue to keep ?

Khilal Gibron once wrote " the writing hand once wrote, cannot go back to unwrite". Likewise, what is typed is type.. its capture in real time and frozen in cyberspace.

Reme

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh I had an oppsy there :)- in continuum

Remember that all media and hardware eventually becomes non functional and will fail!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> FWIW, I dont give a darn where my information
> resides.. the more that resides everywhere the
> better off I am.

You will go ahead and post every email you ever wrote on your blog then? :)

To me, emails (for example) are a theoreticlaly private space that however due to current subpoena laws isn't as private as it should be. Laws are human-made and can be changed on consent... the only thing we can't change are technical limitations. E.g. there may be a restriction that makes it impossible for Google to give you a good email client *and* ensure to not be able to ever read your mails. (We sort of know they could, if they wanted to...)

Michael Caron [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Very interesting questions. If we're talking GMail, there would have to be something in between them or GMail would have to provide a functionality in their email system to allow you to delete forever.

Even if that were the case, I have been in situations where I have done low-level formats of hard disks and data was still recovered from them.

Seems like we're kinda screwed.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

=="You will go ahead and post every email you ever wrote on your blog then? :) "

suffice it to say that the world has not matured enough-- for that type of information, yet!!! :)_ But what I was trying to imply is that the more of you that is online, the less risk status can be attributed to you!!

Philipp, I need to redirect you to this post of yours a long long time ago :)-

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/20723.html

"...Based on Google's analysis of your past .... we come to the conclusion that you are likely to commit a serious crime soon. You've been reported to the authorities. Please remain seated in front of your computer..."

and then followup a read on this post of mine..

http://peterdawson.typepad.com/blog/2006/02/minority_report.html

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, I do remember many cases in different countries.
Who used to control us 5 years ago the way that controlling is done today. No one. What are the limits, consequences, etc... we do not know.
In my opinion, there is an absolute freedom attribute it to each person on earth, in the space, anywhere... and we can use this freedom with no limits.
Why should you get convicted by things that others do not like or accept in their society.

I know for fact that anything I wrote or will be writing, can turn against me in the future. But, at least I am saying or posting the things I think about at this precise time , at this minute.

Weired world, did you watch CNN today, they just mentioned Bush having his campaign "be afraid" . He shows the "Ben La--- Guy" and make american people beeing afraid of the fact that this guy is still out there free. Well couldn't they catch him long time ago, or did they kept him and used his public message for their own campaign.

Ray Morand [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Never under rate the value of a law suit, individual or class action, against any one who provides your intelectual property to others, with out your written consent! This i believe would include even a judge who issues a suponea or an officer of any group that causes such to be issued!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!