Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Toobar: WTF?

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, October 26, 2006
17 years ago3,448 views

I decided I didnt want the newest version. So I went back to the older version. Then..guess what.

IT AUTOMATICALLY MAKES IT THE NEWEST VERSION.

Now THAT is evil. What do I do?

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

How is that _evil_?

That might not be a focus on the customer, but it isn't evil.

17 years ago #

let's see. i decide i want one particular version of software, but google says, no you really don't, you want THIS one, and changes it for me.

That fits the defination pretty well, I'd say.

John Marshall [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I would think evil would be doing something maliciously.
Making you use the newest version makes sense. Its easier to provide support if everyone is using the same version. There could also be serious bugs or security concerns with previous versions(I don't know if there are or not, I'm just giving examples)

I think you have a pretty broad definition of evil. Just doing something you don't like doesn't make it evil.

17 years ago #

I think it absolutely fits within the context of Google's mission, "Don't Be Evil," that means corporate subtrafuge, and acting counter to the needs of the end user. If I want to run Firefox 1.5 instead of 2.0, I can. FF doesn't automatically change it. Same with IE. If I set it so it is not part of Windows Update, I won't get it as part of a download pkg.

All I am saying is, it's W R O N G to unilaterally update a program without asking the END USER if they WANT it updated.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

no no no.. Brinke.. youre totally wrong!!

referring to FF and IE..
Firefox and Microsoft supports both browsers..
MS – IE7 & I6 and FF – FF 1.5 & 2.0 because the new browsers ARE NEW, and they must support the older versions because of the people who didnt changed to the new version...
which means that if one of the older versions has a breach, MS or FF will fix it.
i guess Google just stopped supporting the other versions of its toolbars..
(maybe because what John said..)
after all.. you would like to use IE 5 now? or FF 1.0? dont think so.

besides.. FF , IE and Google has different policies..

C, E. Warnes [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

How can I delete Google Toolbar from my machine?
cpma[put at-character here]msn.com

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]C, E. Warnes: Just go to "Change or Remove Programs" and find Google Toolbar on that list. Alternatively, if you're using Firefox, you could just use the Add-ons manager, select Google Toolbar, and click Uninstall.

And I think Brinke is confusing what he dislikes with what is evil. It is totally justified for Google to discontinue support for older versions, which would otherwise plague Google with unnecessary support issues. People shouldn't abuse the "Evil" tag.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!