Google Blogoscoped

Forum

3 Million IE7 Downloads in 4 Days ?

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, October 26, 2006
17 years ago2,520 views

Beta news reports that the IE7 has been downloaded three million times in the first four days.

although i don't or no one else here give up Firefox.... but yet i have a deep feeling that when i asked many web developers they said they still depend on IE because

IE gives large support for .NET and .aspx kind of pages..... But when it comes to php and xhtml i prefer Firefox!

As a Web developer or user , do you think IE is more better than firefox for web development ?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

As a user I have to say I much prefer Firefox and I've only used IE for Microsoft Update.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< do you think IE is more better than firefox for web development >>
Firefox is better.

as for the downloads.. from my knowledge, i was told that it automatically updates your old browser to the new one.. (if Windows Update is on)
so thats probably explains the large number..

<< when i asked many web developers they said they still depend on IE because... >>
because MS is a corporation.. almost every website is first based to use IE, and then if the owner wants, he'll have to pay more and get more sources for supporting FF..
so, everyone will first use IE, cause its much more convenient..

now you understand Sankar where did these numbers pop up?

17 years ago #

oh, and another thing..
IE users didnt get a new browser for like what? 6, 5 years?
thats ages on browsers time! (it also points on its efficiency)

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well I don't think that many people have changed their browsing habits. I am on a campus with a large amount of IE users (some firefox guys in their too yeah, but mainly IE) and I am amazed by the perpetual state of confusion these students have with their computers.

The IE update has certainly not been seeded to everyone here. I am not sure if people have auto update on or whatever though – so that may explain it. One guy who I saw download it immediately turned off the tabbed browsing "rubbish" because it was "really annoying".

People never like change straight away.

I think IE 7 will be quite a success. It is a good browser... but it is not better than Opera.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i have downloaded ie7 for testing and webdesign, but i use firefox 2!

17 years ago #

<< I think IE 7 will be quite a success. It is a good browser... but it is not better than Opera. >>

Opera? dont you mean Firefox Sam? :P

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Technically, Opera should be a web developer's best friend, because it's the one that follows the web standards to the core, so you know you're doing something wrong if it fails in Opera. A good starting point.

Apart from that, I'm used to Firefox now, and I like using Google Browser Sync and all the extensions. it's the add-ons that convert me.

17 years ago #

lol..
i feel the same as you do too, Mambo :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

IE7 still has some major risk's embedded within. It will be prudent to play, wait and see how the final score card looks when a certain company completes its eval of the product!!

E.g http://secunia.com/internet_explorer_7_popup_address_bar_spoofing_test/

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>>now you understand Sankar where did these numbers pop up?

Yep i do .........

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I believe web developers are forced to access IE7, now or soon, either by some virtual machine or by installing it... just so they can test it to create cross-browser pages. And all the nice features IE may have that don't work on FF, and vice versa, aren't of much use if you want to create sites running on the majority of browsers.

In my last web company we had a clear-defined set of browsers to support and we'd fight hard for every exotic browser to get rid of... e.g. Netscape 4 was still on the list when I started, which is OK to support if you simply exclude it from CSS, but a pain if they demand to mirror the layout in this browser! I suppose some web companies will now switch their policies to something like "Mac IE, Firefox 1.5 + 2.0, IE6 + 7".

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< IE gives large support for .NET and .aspx kind of pages..... But when it comes to php and xhtml i prefer Firefox!

As a Web developer or user , do you think IE is more better than firefox for web development ? >>

I'm not sure what you mean by the first statement. Why would IE give better support for .NET and .aspx pages? Don't they just produce HTML the same as any language? Perhaps there are more features available to IE – like ActiveX controls, etc. – I don't know...

Personally, I'm still using IE as my main browser because (i) we develop things internally that use ActiveX and (ii) 80% of our website visitors still use IE, so it's good to experience things how they do. However, I test in FF (and now FF2) and also use it for being logged in to two Google accounts at the same time.

I think that when I eventually get around to installing IE7, I'll probably ditch it and set FF2 as being my default browser though... ;-)

And Philipp – I remember those good old days when we had to check everything in Netscape 4, Netscape 6, IE5 and IE5.5 and on a Mac if we could be bothered... oh, happy days!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!