Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Filter GMail by BCC

Diego [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, October 26, 2006
17 years ago5,934 views

I want to BCC copies of messges sent from my website into my Gmail account for archiving purposes.

I can filter by 'to', 'from' but not 'cc' or 'bcc' addresses.

Is there a way to do this?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think you can use [cc:yourgmailusername[put at-character here]gmail.com] in the "Has the words:" fields. That seems to bring up all emails that were CCd to me in my account.

Alternatively, if you're sending them from your website, surely you can control the "From" address or append the subject with some form of identifier that you could filter on?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I forgot to add, you won't be able to filter by the BCC field because that's not even sent in the email headers.

Diego [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yes I can and that's what I ended up doing, but in an ideal world, I'd like to keep an exact copy of the message, leaving the from, to and subject fields intact....

I can make it work on the CC field, as you suggested, cc:(archive[put at-character here]domain.com) but the recipient can see the CC address in the message and it doesn't look very professional. I can't do the same on BCC because it's not displayed along with the message... (as you added)

For now I'll settle with sending a copy of the message to archive[put at-character here]domain.comfrom the original recipient...

Thanks you for your reply though ;-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!