Google Blogoscoped

Forum

More YouTube Removals  (View post)

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

Saturday, October 28, 2006
17 years ago6,523 views

That would be insane. Stephen Colbert regularly refers to YouTube on his show. He's held video competitions. And it's not like there's a big market for current events talk shows in reruns.

A YouTube search for Stephen Colbert finds hundreds of videos, many loaded months ago, and I haven't found any dead ones yet. Are you sure this is real?

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

I'm finding a lot of missing South Park videos and some missing Daily Show episodes. Either they did a scattershot deletion, or there was some specific criteria such as length or the use of material licensed from other sources.

What a crazy thing to do. This might make sense for South Park, because people will buy the DVDs, but who buys old Daily Show episodes?

Rob Williams [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I hope they don't pull all of Colbert and TDS. I decided not to watch it on TV anymore because all the highlights are on youtube!

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It was nice while it lasted, but the party's over :-(

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mark, I did some searches for "Daily Show", and the post's screenshot is from those. Lots of Daily Show are missing from the search results once you click on them. But you are right, there's also lots of Colbert Report still on the site! Clicking through some of them I saw maybe 50% Colbert Report missing... I think we can conclude that not *all* are missing but (perhaps) *many* have been removed.

> I decided not to watch it on TV anymore because all
> the highlights are on youtube!

Probably not the right kind of argument to convince the attorneys they're wrong :)

Ravindran VC [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Damn!

17 years ago #

[Updated the post with Mark's info.]

Personman [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

I'm honestly surprised it took this long. It is sad, though, especially given Colbert's interaction with YouTube on the show.

The G Men [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Expect more of this.

Why should THEY profit from YOUR content creation? I would expect something in return but no, the you tube guys just said thanks and ran off to the bank laughing at YOU.

Still its a great business model, create a wizard generated site, have users create content, you place google ad's and you get income then sell out :)

I got to get me some of this Web 2.0 pie!

Earth has how many billion suckers ready to line up and give me their creations to sell :) Thanks in advance guys :)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

WTF ?

Wre [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Sad how Google wasted a couple of billions for this pos.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like when Philipp begins to post more about newly acquired companies.

I think youtube will have to consider other videos "classified" that no one but youtube can host them and for Free.

Blias IAK [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Na I don't like when Philipp begins to post more about newly acquired companies.

pat [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No problems accessing from here (Canada)

rollmops [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Youtube removes german soccer videos, 27. Oct.

http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-zeitung/print/media/598458.html

seems the race has just begun...

Torley (torley.com) [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Looks like more and more is getting removed — what peeves me is the removed videos still show up in playlists, and it's only *after* you try to click on them and view that it informs you they are removed, and often, who requested the takedown.

I am sad because many of my fave Japanese music videos are gone now, including just about the whole Shiina Ringo collection.

And oh yeah, Brian Fellow's Safari Planet on Saturday Night Live. There's only one ep up that I could find. :|

17 years ago #

> what peeves me is the removed videos still show up in playlists
> and it's only *after* you try to click on them and view that it informs
> you they are removed, and often, who requested the takedown.

Actually I think that's excellent, at least for research :), 'cause it will remind you just how much and what has been taken down. If these files would be missing from the result itself, it would be much harder to find out about removals. On the other hand, of course they might as well include a lil red "removed" onto the result snippet itself...

bob [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

This is the end of youtube then. Where will the youtubers migrate to now?

17 years ago #

I asked YouTube press support who was behind this latest wave of Comedy Central content removal but they declined to answer this specific question, and they also ignored my question whether or not they allow "fair use" video snippets (and instead gave me an answer to something I didn't ask, e.g. "We take copyright issues very seriously."). Weird.

17 years ago #

An update on this case by AdWeek:

<<After Viacom sent YouTube a letter last week asking the video-sharing site to remove some of its copyrighted content, the two companies appear to have reached an understanding. (...)

Now, according to a Viacom representative, the two companies are exploring ways to ensure such problems will not be repeated. As a result, YouTube has re-posted an undisclosed number of Viacom-produced videos.>>
http://www.adweek.com/aw/national/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003317744

James [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/tv/youtube_pulling_comedy_central_clips_not_necessarily_46469.asp

"According to some users, it appears that clips under 5 minutes in were not removed. Those over 5 minutes were."

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!