Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Jimmy Wales Setting Copyrighted Works Free?  (View post)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, October 28, 2006
17 years ago5,061 views

Hope they will spend more $$ on servers... It's kinda slow sometimes.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Haochi is right, they should focus more on the servers and making Wikipedia more user friendly.

Where are they getting the money from ? Donations.

I think they should start putting some Adsense.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>> It's kinda slow sometimes.

Use Google cache.

Mathias Schindler [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hi Sohil,

Wikipedia gets its money from donations. You can watch the daily stream of money flow at http://fundraising.wikimedia.org

This season usually marks a time when we have increasing numbers of people coming to wikipedia. Therefor, the Wikimedia Foundation has agreed to increase the number of servers. We are now at 260 (or more) servers. Most of them are listed at meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Servers.

This is a list of requests per second for the last weeks:
http://hemlock.knams.wikimedia.org/~leon/stats/reqstats/reqstats-monthly.png

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's nice info you Mathais ..but what do you mean when you say

"This season usually marks a time when we have increasing numbers of people coming to wikipedia"

are you saying spikes rates have been identified as a "seasonal" phenomenon in the wiki property ??

17 years ago #

pd: The fall is the time of the year when the traffic doubles in a rather short time. We have seen this phenomenon in 2004, 2005 and now in 2006.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks for the info Mathias and good luck with your plans :)

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's obviously students doing class papers (:-) ?)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ahhhhhhhhh Seth, now it does make sense .. after all, the wiki is becoming the landing zone / center for research activities!!

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I do most of my recreational Wikipedia reading in October/November. :

Torley (torley.com) [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

What's grinded me, especially lately, is how Wikipedia is such a useful reference but how it has such awful built-in search. Sometimes I search through it externally using Google, but that's still not the easiest.

I do look forward to more details of copyrighted works being set free!

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]torley: We are aware of this. We are using tools like google sitemaps to make it easier for search engines to crawl the data. Currently, I recommend using google/yahoo/ask.com (or the wikipedia search of web.de for german content) rather than our internal lucene stuff.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Does anyone know what is the value of wikipedia property ?? someone trotted out $580M and another person ups it to $5B!!

Afterall, if they (Jimmy et al) place ad's this becomes the hottest ad placement proptery too and still keep it as a non -profit company.. Give the money to some foundation ..!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

When you think of the YouTube price as what the market considers "fair" at this moment then I'd say $580M is much too low for Wikipedia. After all, they're in the top 3 for a huge amount of important Google searches. It's like buying a piece of the web's knowledge... and aren't they one of the 10 (20? 30?) most visited sites on earth or something?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ii think its within the 10 most visited sites!!

C Ramesh [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Wikipedia reportedly gets 2,000 page requests a second. Can someone do the math on monetizing traffic of that magnitude?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!