Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Searchmash gets updated

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 1, 2006
17 years ago3,032 views

http://www.searchmash.com/search/sohil

Did you mean ... ? shows the first 3 results and a Wikipedia section has been added.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Also images are moved to the bottom.

You can collapse and expand the elements too.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Interesting. I wonder whether anyone actually uses this as a search engine? I wonder whether Google really expects anyone to use it on a daily basis – or are they happy with someone just spending five minutes using it and giving their feedback?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's definately not meant to be a "popular" widely used search engine, because i think the name says it all – its a mashup of ideas and new UI concepts.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree. But sometimes it's only when you use something everyday that you realise how useful or annoying a feature might be. (Of course, if it's *mega* useful or annoying, you'll know after five minutes!)

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i would prefer google.com :)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i think this is getting ready for when google will do away with the links like images, video etc.. when it will be smart enough to know what you are looking for, or suggest things.. one search box for all.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] dpneal

I think they probably do have the power right now to do that, but they're keeping it back to keep the crown jewels safe. No radical move is needed as yet.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They've turned off the drag-and-drop result reordering too. I quite enjoyed that, despite not knowing what it was for . . . All very mysterious.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ya they did do that, I guess it requires too much interaction from the user.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I also liked the d&d feature, it was fun. Is the show/hide details new? The side-by-side is better than what Google does when there's no details to display. The only thing is I'm so used to using google I foget about searchmash :-(

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, show/hide is new. I just wish I knew what they're trying to learn/experimenting for.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!