Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Mobile Java Client  (View post)

Luka [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 2, 2006
17 years ago28,294 views

On a computer, you need to use Google Translate to have a "mobile version" of the web page .

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgmail.com%2Fapp&langpair=en%7Cde&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Razvan Antonescu [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Opera Mobile gives 404 too.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm sticking with m.gmail app.. the last midlet I installed kinda chewed away into my device..

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[Edit: small spelling correction.]

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<I'm sticking with m.gmail app.. the last midlet I installed kinda chewed away into my device..>>

hmmm... kinda like a rat?? :)-

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Works sweet on my SE P910i, downloaded with Opera 6 for Symbian.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Works very nicely on mine, a Nokia 6233. The menu is useful; another nice feature is that it loads dynamically, so that you get the most recent messages in your inbox while it's loading the older ones in the background. It's definitely quicker (for me) and more functional than Gmail through my mobile browser.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mine claims is does not have a data connection running in Midlet MAnager on a Mobile 2003 phone, but that could be because I;m in the UK and it says US/Canada only

17 years ago #

Splasho: I'm in the UK, no problems here.

Phillip: If text size is a problem, there's a 'settings' option to turn it off (it's small by default).

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hmm, for my Samsung D600 I get a 404 error.

17 years ago #

When I click the download button btw, seems like a human error on google's part.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp, what did you use to install the midlet? I have the TMobile MDA and I can't get it to install. I've had no luck trying to install IBM's JVM.

Alberto [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Same 404 error when trying to download the midlet on my SE V600i with the included browser and with Opera Mini.

Oliver Wendell Jones [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Just installed on my new BlackBerry Pearl (8100) and it works great. Looks like it's way easier to read on my device than the mobile website. This may work out to be a huge help for BlackBerry users too. T-Mobile is no longer officially supporting Gmail access from BlackBerrys because "gmail does not use *real* POP access" according to them. Other providers, and possibly RIM in general, are expected to follow suit.

17 years ago #

Nevermind, I found a midlet manager for the TMobile MDA.
ftp://xda:xda[put at-character here]ftp.xda-developers.com/Uploads/Wizard/Intent_MIDlet_manager.cab

Works great so far, and the new Gmail App is awesome!

Tommaso Tessarolo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I've got the same "404 Error" when I've tried to download the Java client for my N70...
really not a good start!

Igor [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Used nokia 6680 built in browser and i got to dl.With opera mini didnt work..

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Worked fine on my i730 with Windows Mobile 5 and Pocket IE.

I have 2 versions of the IBM Java framework. The first, the text is readable, and interface is nicer than the html web, but the hard buttons don't work (all interface browsing has to be done via the stylus) . The second version of framework has working hard buttons, but has a weird font issue.

I mostly blame Microsoft/IBM for these issue. I doubt there's anything google can do to make this work better on Pocket PC devices.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

A cool app...definitely looks better than the previous methods of mobile access and loads significantly quicker. The only downside is that it is a standalone app...it's annoying having to use maps and gmail as standalone apps and not be able to continue to browse the web for other things.

Here's hoping for a java Google Browser for mobile that integrates these apps and some kind of web browsing :)

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oliver, Gmail doesn't use a real POP server. My friend was complaining about this when they switched over to hosted Gmail at his company. I don't know how many problems it has, but one is that you can only download messages once.

Czar [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

To solve the ''need access'' issue, simply use a midlet manager, like MotoMidMan, and grant full access to that midlet.

Robert Gale [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I was unable to get it working on my Nokia N80. When starting the application I get the error:-

java.lang.IllegalStateException: This method is not supported in com.nokia.mid.ui.FullCanvas

Henrique Gusso [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I almost didn't install it considering Philipp's post, but I am thrilled to have installed it.

It installed just fine on my Nokia N90, and even with the high resolution, the font size is GREAT, even though I can make it bigger in the settings (which I won't, since it's perfect the way it comes).

The program itself is beautiful, the chat bubbles in the email are very nice, and the fact that you can preview image attachments as inside the program is just awesome.

In the search I tried "has:attachments" and it worked as fine as in the browser version.

A great approach by Google, and I will be expecting a desktop client with some neat effects maybe using Vista's transparency in a near future :)

17 years ago #

> Phillip: If text size is a problem, there's a 'settings' option
> to turn it off (it's small by default).

Reto, I was looking for that option, where did you find it? Of course, the menus are tiny too for me so it's harder to read :)

~JOSh-X [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

At first I was receiving the 404 error, with my Opera client on my Nokia 6682, but when I used the default browser for the phone, it downloaded just nicely ^_^

I love this little app already! It has some amazing little features!

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I didn't notice one of the coolest new features in here....click to call your contacts! That's awesome. Read an email and then call the person to respond...pretty nifty.

Robert Gale [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

After reading a review on Mobile Crunch (http://mobilecrunch.com/2006/11/02/google-updates-mobile-services-new-downloadable-application-speeds-up-gmail/) I solved my problem. I needed to download the client using the 'Services' browser rather than the 'Web' browser.

Art Nagy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Worked very fine at first try on Nokia 6230i, location Hungary.

Hermon [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

New Home page of Gmail-
http://f.nau.co.il/upload/112006/IsraBlog/213241/posts/7917059.jpg

Source:
http://israblog.nana.co.il/blogread.asp?blog=213241&blogcode=5195439

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Little grammar niggle:
>I was now able to install the Midlet.

Is better IMO as "I have since been able to install the Midlet" or "I am now able to install the Midlet".

17 years ago #

I wrote up a mini howto for those who can't get it to work on the T-Mobile MDA. Digg the article if it helps you out!
http://www.digg.com/software/How_to_Get_Gmail_Mobile_For_Your_T_Mobile_MDA_and_Similar_Phones

Rakesh Agrawal [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have a Cingular 2125 (Windows Mobile 5.0 device, based on HTC Tornado reference design) and I'm having the same small font problem. I also have the same font problem with the latest Google Maps Mobile midlet.

Maybe I need to try a different JVM that will let me specify a larger font size? Phillip, like you, I couldn't find any such setting in my current JVM.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow, it works beautifully o my Blackberry.

It is fast and sleek, easy to navigate. For some reason I can view attachments (word files) so much better than the usual cluttered look of the mail program of Blackberry.

I also love the fact I can navigate so quickly my entire Gmail email archive.

Google. You sure released one heck of a client today.

Phil Defer [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Installed fine, but I logged in and then: "Sorry your phone doesn't have the appropriate certificate to communicate with gmail, please use the web based version" :(
Using a Sony Ericsson K750i

17 years ago #

Philip (and Rakesh): To change the font size settings follow this menu sequence (you'll need to restart the applet to see the change).

1) Open Menu
2) 'Go to' (second menu option)
3) 'Setttings' (5th menu option)
4) Untick 'Use Small Fonts' (3rd check box)
5) Select 'Save'
6) Exit and reload.

Michael Kamleitner [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

works really smooth on my Nokia 6630... I've been using m.gmail.com on Opera Mini for quite some time now, but this is definitely better!

17 years ago #

Cool, I'll try that, thanks Reto!

Hatem [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Hi Philipp, I've posted a review with screenshots here :

http://googling.phpmagazine.net/2006/11/gmail_mobile_java_client_revie.html

Michael [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

“In fact, if Google ever got around to releasing a single app that combined Gmail, Gtalk and GCal, they might have an instant winner on their hands. Just, which despite limited device support, remains one of our favorite mobile apps.”

Deeply, agree, actually not google but another application named Morange has put all these together, push mail, IM, calendar, virtual disk , Push RSs etc, etc, It ranked high in GetJar and so far the users love it, maybe you want to have a look at GetJar.com http://www.getjar.com/products/6188/MORANGEFullVersion

Rakesh [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Reto, that's great, thanks for solving the small font issue for me. I have three more issues on my Cingular 2125 and maybe you (or someone else!) can help me with them:

1) My Java Midlet Manager constantly asks me / prompts me if it's OK to
the access the Internet. Ack, how do I get rid of these prompts and
just tell it to log me in when it needs to log me in?

2) How do I get text entry to default to T9? Right now, I have to
change the setting everytime I enter a textarea / textbox to enter an
e-mail address or a message.

3) How do I link directly to Gmail from my main menu rather than having
to go through the midlet manager? This is the lesser of the three
issues here.

Rakesh

17 years ago #

My Samsung D600 crashes when it connects via Gprs (while loading). Very handy! Google Maps works flawless on my mobile phone so they must be doing something different... *-)

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

For some reason its not working on my Razr (in Israel). Gets stuck on refresh...ah well...

Paul [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hello. I have some troubles with downlading the gmail mobile client from google.com/app. [email removed. -Philipp]

17 years ago #

A generic version can be found here:

http://gmail.com/app/v1.0.0/en/gm-Generic-Advanced_MIDP2.jad

You can also use a user-agent switcher (in firefox) to retrieve specific versions. But I suspect Google of creating these specific versions just to be able to count which phones use their java apps the most.

JTaylor [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I do like Gmail... but its only one of my email accounts. So I will stick with Movamail (movamail.com).

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've only just noticed that there's no option to access Gmail contacts, which is a great shame. Or am I missing something? Is it there?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!