Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Pondering Google Blog News and More  (View post)

bob wilson [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, November 2, 2006
17 years ago4,840 views

http://blogsearch.google.com/ doesn't do it or ...? what am i missing?

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And also look at http://www.topix.net/

http://www.megite.com/ can be customized.

Frankly, *comparatively* few people want to read through blogs. It's very much a niche interest, especially past ones which are basically online magazines.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Bob, no what I mean is something exactly like Google News, except working on a different (blog-only) URL list in the backend. This way, you'd be able to search for say "google", and then get the "hot topics of the day" cluster. E.g. I search Google News for "google" everyday, but I know this way I'm missing out on many relevant blogs Google News doesn't index. The existing Google Blog search just doesn't cluster this way.

Steve Beaudry [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I believe they've got Google Custom News . . . it's called Google Reader, though.

17 years ago #

Yes, but Google Reader doesn't have the clustering that's at the heart of Google News, which brings us back to Brian Mingus' post:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/74346.html

Peter Cranstone [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Goodbye Technorati

joe [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

i would like it also if blogs would quit showing up in regular News searches

Jayenkai [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I get what Philipp's on about, and I agree, it would be a neat idea.
Like when the same piece of Gaming news gets reported on 7,000 blogs. It'd be nice to have that displayed in a Google News style, instead of just having a list of 7,000 versions of the same piece of news, followed by 7,000 of the next bit of news.
Just cluster the news together, and have done with it!

Nate [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

I love this idea.

Greg Linden [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

What would Google Blog News look like exactly?

Something like Memeorandum or TailRank that clusters blog stories? Or a page that learns and makes recommendations like Findory? Or something totally different?

17 years ago #

Greg – in my mind, it would look exactly like Google News. Only instead of CNN, there'd be TechCrunch. And instead of Washington Post, there'd be Boing Boing, and so on. Possibly, this could be navigated as a simple link tab on top of Google News... like

Google News
   Mainstream | Blogs | Add custom...

... or something, where "add custom" allows you to choose from a range of subscriptions offered by developers ("mainstream" might be more precisely labeled "traditional", but that could also be confusing). So for example, your Google News might end up looking like this:

Google News
   Mainstream | Blogs | Forum Chatter | Add custom...

... but with the exact look and feel of Google News. Custom News channels could also include topics, but it seems even more worthwhile to sort by types of content, not so much by the topic of content, as you can search for specific contents anyway (e.g. you can search the "Forum Chatter" tab for "horse riding" when you're into that...).

I'm not saying this is the right tool for everyone... some of you might be perfectly happy with existing tools...

Credit to Brian Mingus for inspiring this discussion with his original idea here: http://blogoscoped.com/forum/74346.html

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

actually there is an alpha experiment happening that cluster's news based on weightage, relevance and most aggreated.. Relly not sure how it all meshes together..but it it does – -there is a contender for some sweet stuf to happen..

http://scoopr.net/

If the algo's are retro fitted into with Blogosphere/blog posts, I think there is a lot that could be done at a user level..

jaded bitter dude about this [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

nice in theory, and everything's easier in theory...in reality, you are saying 'authoritative sources' and that's the worst thing in the world when it comes to blogs...i place low value on the unmediated thoughts of assorted individuals from the blogosphere unless their blogs have earned some kind of real credibility...

17 years ago #

Jaded Bitter Dude: just like in Google News, the blogs would be hand-picked and approved.

But I'm not even saying Google Blog News would be a *good* idea. I'd have to see it and play around with it for a week to judge it :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, what happens if you hand pick a set of (trusted) blogs and then an engine returns only those which have high ratio of back scatter ??

This means I don't need to read 7000 odd articles on... lets say "MSFT & EULA" – and the most trusted and the ones with the best weightage is returned to me ? Will this make sense ??

17 years ago #

Plus, Google Blog News would have to return the first one who breaks the news at the top of the cluster (I believe there's some of this algorithm at work in Google News, though I've been told it doesn't always work well). Maybe that's the "high ratio of back scatter", not sure what it means.
Remember when mainstream sources say "according to reports posted to blogs"? Well, then you'd be able to find out exactly where the news broke after all, and news junkies could get closer to the original story (and opinion, and comments thread).

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Phillip your Correct... "be able to find out exactly where the news broke after all,"

Currently the problem is the even the MSM and other bloggers don't always link to the source.. this means the person who did the Scoop has no way to gain recogonization or being

and what I mean when I say "high ratio of back scatter", it literally means the same story being told but with no attribution to the source.. or being told in a differnent way (with attrribtion) However, the engine *would* (yeah big word!!), would be able to congize the parallels of a simliar story and render results that (a) gives you who broke a story (b) and MSM / Bloggers that you have handpicked

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!