Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Gadget Hosting and Translation

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

Monday, November 6, 2006
17 years ago3,581 views

Hey guys,

A little self promotion here, I hope Philipp doesn't mind.

Anyway, today I'm launching a service that will host your Google Gadget and make it super easy for people to translate it. Once you enter your messages and publish the gadget, it gets added to a list for anyone to translate. When someone suggests a translation, you are asked for approval. If you approve the translation, it instantly goes live and is available for anyone in that language. The site takes care of all the message bundles and Locale tags for you. Check it out:

http://andrewhitchcock.org/gadgets/

Andrew

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Doesn't load for me now, though I saw it yesterday...

17 years ago #

I know, how embarrassing. The day I go to launch (and after I post about it here and on the Google Gadgets API Google Group) and my, umm, "datacenter" has some outages. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'll be able to look into it in a few hours.

I did have four registered users as of last night when I went to bed, two of which are Google employees. Also, my friend translated my Alexa gadget into Japanese and I translated it partially into Chinese.

17 years ago #

Just FYI, it is back up now.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice Idea!!

The wisdom of crowds and "democratization innovations" – wish you all the best with venture..

Grimmthething [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Wow, this is pretty cool. I will have to try that out when i get a chance.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Okay, I've signed up for it. And, yeah, it looks pretty cool. I've made a gadget... but where are the options for it? How do it edit or delete it? Am I missing something here? :

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Okay I've worked out how to edit it... but how do I delete?

17 years ago #

Sorry, no delete at this point. I guess I should make it easier to know how to edit (and create translations). I'll take your feedback and problems into account. I'm working on a new page for it right now, but once I'm done with that, I'll look into either deleting or making the pages more helpful (or eating dinner).

You guys can e-mail me if you have private feedback or questions:

mail[put at-character here]andrewhitchcock (dot-org)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!