Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Doesn't Scale?  (View post)

Adam O'Donnell [PersonRank 0]

Monday, April 11, 2005
19 years ago

While I certainly don't have the technical knowledge of some of the people likely to weigh in on this debate, I simply don't believe this. So Blogger is slow. That doesn't mean every popular Google service has to be slow. Wouldn't we all agree that Google itself (remember Google does searching too) is pretty fast? And there's definitely a large audience for it.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Absolutely – Google.com is a good example of how well Google are able to scale if they *want* to. I could imagine Blogger.com is slow because it wasn't developed in-house, originally, and possibly, it doesn't scale up well/ isn't easy to relaunch in a day. As for Orkut, that uses ASPX (.NET), which is a telling difference from what I think Google otherwise uses.

I'm optimistic for Gmail, I do wonder though what Scoble overheard...

Brian [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I think it is just evidence of the 70-20-10 model. I’ve read before that Gmail and Blogger fit into that 10% of “things that truly interest us”, and they probably get 10% of the computing resources too.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!