Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Li Jianping Sentenced to 2 Years  (View post)

w.y. [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, November 11, 2006
17 years ago3,362 views

Ironically, now a lot of Google services are banned (Blogspot, Googlepages, Google video, et al.) by China.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It wouldn't surprise me if Google.com is banned more often ever since Google offered a self-censored *.cn variant earlier this year, and I've also heard reports in this direction (which are hard to verify for me, though). When there was no fallback Google, the public outcry was strong, as Sergey Brin once suggested in an interview with Playboy in 2004 (before there was a self-censored Google.cn):

<<PLAYBOY: How did you respond when the Chinese government blocked Google because your search engine pointed to sites it forbade, including Falun Gong and pro-democracy websites?

BRIN: China actually shut us down a couple of times.

PLAYBOY: Did you negotiate with the Chinese government to unblock your site?

BRIN: No. There was enough popular demand in China for our services – information, commerce and so forth – that the government re-enabled us.>>
http://www.google-watch.org/playboy.html

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You know what's funny, and also sad? A newspaper reported a couple of days ago that a Microsoft exec said MSFT thinks about leaving China.

BUT...

SHANGHAI, NOV 2: Microsoft Corp, the world’s biggest software maker, denied a report that it may reconsider operating in China because of government censorship.

‘‘We are not considering the suspension of our Internet services in China,’’ the Redmond, Washington-based company said on Thursday in an e-mailed statement. ‘‘Microsoft will continue to offer services and communications tools in China.’’

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=145309

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google should take down Google.cn themselves whenever Google.com is down in China.

paranoid [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

actually most of oversea service WILL be blocked by China in the future.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!