Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Popular Blog Posts  (View post)

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

Monday, November 13, 2006
17 years ago9,504 views

Philip, you should include a post of your own in here somewhere too.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Whatever happened to Scobles & Richard M (readwriteweb) ?? And you should had a cross section also from Jeff Jarvis, Dan Gilmor , Xeni , CowboyNeal :)-

Yeah , you should add your 2 cents on your own post that drove most traffic.

Michael Keukert [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I got "BoingBoinged" once – that made my stats skyrocket: http://www.technozid.de/2006/07/06/bodenstandig-2000-are-opting-out-of-itunes/

Katinka Hesselink [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Don't you read ANY women bloggers?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I did write to bloggers of both genders, Katinka, but not everyone replied.

Shelley Powers [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Well, I would say you didn't try very hard.

How many women did you write compared to men?

One? Two?

Looked for a couple in the Technorati Top and left it at that?

17 years ago #

> Well, I would say you didn't try very hard.

Indeed I didn't try to pick any gender, race, sexual orientation or nationality in specific, Shelley. I just picked a couple of blogs, with top blogs lists like Technorati's helping with inspiration for which to pick. Partly, these were women, and partly, these were group blogs where there isn't even any gender specified, and frankly, I also don't care about that stuff.

17 years ago #

... and welcome to the forum, Shelley. Hope you stick around :)

Shelley Powers [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Frankly, I don't care about forums such as this.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And Shelly, if you dont care – why is that you visited in the first place ? Just to be rude and walk away eh ??

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"with top blogs lists like Technorati's helping with inspiration for which to pick. "

Behold the power of the self-reinforcing old-boy's club (A-list)

:-(

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

GOD BLESS THE CHILD
Billie Holiday / Arthur Herzog Jr.

Them that's got shall get
Them that's not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that's got his own
That's got his own

Yes, the strong gets more
While the weak ones fade
Empty pockets dont ever make the grade
Mama may have, papa may have
But God bless the child thats got his own
Thats got his own

[Snip – full text here: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/billie+holiday/god+bless+the+child_20018000.html]

17 years ago #

Yes, this blog post was shamelessly about "popularity", and I indicated as much in the title, Seth :) I think popular bloggers are perfect to ask when it comes to the topic of popular posts that affect many people, and I was hoping we could even learn a thing or two from them.

Robert Scoble [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

My most popular post, I think, is my Corporate Weblog Manifesto. http://scoble.weblogs.com/2003/02/26.html

I wrote that days before taking my new job at Microsoft and it helped guide me through turbulent times.

Paul at Dutchcowboys.nl [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Heee...I know half of there guys....you missed me Philipp?! ;-)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Seth : Gam zeh ya'avor --This too shall pass!!! :)-

17 years ago #

Paul I appreciate if everyone who wants to add their story adds it here too, I'm interested!

jeneane sessum [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

<i>"Indeed I didn't try to pick any gender, race, sexual orientation or nationality in specific, Shelley. I just picked a couple of blogs, with top blogs lists like Technorati's helping with inspiration for which to pick. Partly, these were women, and partly, these were group blogs where there isn't even any gender specified, and frankly, I also don't care about that stuff."</i>

You don't HAVE to care about that stuff. Go look at your post. Scan it down. Look at it. Tell me you don't feel like an idiot. Because this is pretty black and white: Either you feel like an idiot, or you are one.

I'm waiting.

the head lemur [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

My most popular post is Maytag Neptune washer Episode 5
   http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/ravinglunacy/2005/10/maytag_neptune_.html

It has the virtue of being genderless, unbiased, non discriminatory, cutting across all races, creeds, genders, orientations, and lifestyles.

It points out two significant things.
The assumption that popularity is predicated upon circular technocrap exibited by Techmeme, and that white guys are the only cool kids.

Pramit Singh [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Where are the self help stories. My favorite story has been 7 Reasons why Google should buy The NYT. http://mediavidea.blogspot.com/2006/10/dadas-7-reasons-why-google-should-buy.html

stavros the wonder chicken [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

What the heck is 'PersonRank'? Holy crap, that's offensive (especially to those of us differently-specied)!

[Spaces added to name to prevent layout weirdness – Tony]

KathyF [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

My favorite (and one of the most linked to) posts is the one where I complain about the sexism exhibited by Kos at Daily Kos. http://whatdoiknow.typepad.com/what_do_i_know/2005/06/stuff_this_wher.html

I imagine the one where I complain about the sexism here will be a close second.

17 years ago #

Ah, 4 hours ago the first female reply landed in my inbox. For reference, I asked *democrats* too, and she wasn't the only woman either! :)

------------------------------

Michelle Malkin

>> http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004413.htm

"Sorry for the delay – your e-mail got buried in the election deluge.

My Mohammed Cartoons post on Jan. 30, 2006 was one of my most popular and influential posts. It led a blogswarm of support for Denmark and was the first major weblog in the West to reprint all the controversial Danish cartoons – and put them in context – in support of the Jyllands-Posten and free speech."

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The only sexism here is coming from the people who are making the distinction between men and women bloggers. The difference being that it's "positive" discrimination rather than "negative" discrimination.

Bloggers are bloggers, regardless of gender.

KathyF [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Gee, they all looked like men to me.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Gee, they all looked like bloggers to me; their gender was irrelevant.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"their gender was irrelevant"

What's relevent is that with all the popular female bloggers out there, none were in the original post. The White male echo chamber is closed off to other voices, and the ones who perpetuate that are often blind to the ways they contribute.

17 years ago #

Projecting whatever evil you see in the world (racism, sexism, homophobia, wars) on me/ this post is certainly an easier option than facing real issues. I'm only afraid it won't help anyone.

I think everyone made their point by now, repeatedly, including me. I'm closing off this thread (see the forum rules that state it's not OK to "make the same point over and over causing constantly repetitive posts"), but I invited Shelley Powers to write a guest post here on Sexism in Blogging, so expect this to be up in 1-2 weeks.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!