Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Picasa storage upgrades!!!

Armin [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, November 18, 2006
17 years ago19,935 views

I logged into my Picasa account today, and wanted to see if there was even more storage available, and sure enough there was. I'm not sure how long this has been available...

but now you can upgrade to

6gb ($24.95)
25gb ($100)
100gb ($300)
250gb ($500)

Prices are per year

Seems a little steep, but oh well... I like how it work with my picasa, now if only they allow the web albums to be tagged and sorted and searched....

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I see it too. Sign of things yet to come ? Maybe they'll upgrade 250 MB to 6GB (like in Haochi's case) and give the 6GB people 25 or something like that.

Or maybe they increased because people demanded more storage.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

In that case, Haochi & me should will get 25 gb, for free of course :-)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tom, How much have you used so far ?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But... where is it?

Hermon [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

more languages at picasa web

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah.. lol..
where did you find it?

17 years ago #

oh..
here
http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=39567&useful=1&show_useful=1

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sohil > "You are currently using 17 MB (1%) of your 6394 MB."
included one video :-P

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have used "You are currently using 231 MB (3%) of your 6394 MB."

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is it available through out the world. Its not here when I logged in...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I can't upgrade too.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Is it available through out the world?>>
No US only
<<At this time, you must have a United States billing address to purchase additional storage.>>

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

G00d j0b for the article Ha0chi!

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The bandwidth limits are the _only_ reason that I have not uploaded my entire photo collection to Flickr. I have tens of gigabytes of photos, and I can only upload 2 gigabytes per month. I want to sit down and upload them all at once and be done with it. Flickr, however, is significantly cheaper than this Google product.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

SmugMug "lets you store *all* the photos you wish", and "normal accounts get 6 gigabytes of photo views/month, Power Users get twice that. Pros get unlimited traffic". One sweet things about it is taht the Pros account is only $149.95/year. Way way way better than any other services.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<G00d j0b for the article Ha0chi!>>
Thanks! :D

17 years ago #

Filckr Prod has unlimited storage, why Picasa?

http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#28

Delta Pi [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

where the hell the free unlimited platypus google drive has gone?

Christian Lund [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I am really happy to see that Google are working on different rates for storage, this is especially helpful to anyone who doesn't live in the US and who are stuck with the minimal 250MB storage (I'm at 77% and rapidly approaching the limit).

If Google can't get their payment system fixed for non-US users, then perhaps they should raise the limit for non-US users to 500/750MB, which would buy us and Google some time to get things sorted.

It would be nice to see Google favoring the international audience for once.

Danijel Brener [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Agree with you right there, Christian. My space is already full and I'm dying to get the option to upgrade. I don't get what the big issue is and why Visa/Mastercard transfers wouldn't be just as safe for international as they are for the US.

So, Google, if you're reading this, if you don't mind...

Michael [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I don't see why we should pay for this, while other websites such as Yahoo! Photos and atpic.com offer free unlimited photo storage.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You're right, Michael.

For example, Yahoo: http://new.photos.yahoo.com

<<How many photos can I upload?

We offer free, unlimited storage! So upload as many photos as you want.

Keep in mind – we did build a couple of procedural limits into the uploading process.

First, we limit each album to 300 photos. So if you’re uploading into an album and you reach 300, Yahoo! Photos will stop uploading. If this happens, re-start uploading from where you left off. You can direct photos into All My Photos, or a different album, or into a new album you create.

We also limit uploads per day to protect ourselves from abuse. This will probably never be an issue for you, but if you’re uploading several hundred large photos (2-5 Mb) we encourage you to do this over a few sessions. We apologize for this limit, but ultimately it’s for the good of all our users that we manage this type of abuse.>>

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

google should offer this for free. but all the storgae should be unified across google. ie gdrive. connects gmail, docs, photos etc...
maybe we should be paying for limits of 100GB+ though. that does seem alot to offer for free! but then they did it with gmail!

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Michael

i guess we should pay for it because of the video feature.. its kinda like an integration between your photos and home videos..

for example..
you can choose not paying Google and open an account on Flicker and YouTube, but having your stuff on different services.
OR
paying Google, and having both photos and videos on the same service.

17 years ago #

Other cool stuff in Yahoo Photos:

* Can I add photos from Yahoo! Mail to my Yahoo! Photos account?

You bet! If you receive an email message with photos in Yahoo! Mail, just click Save to My Yahoo! Photos next to the attached photo(s).

* Upload photos from your camera phone.

* Ratings, tags.

* Smart albums, created using criteria like: tags, a date or range of dates, a 1-5 star rating.

* Enhance photos online: Rotate, crop, add borders, fix red-eye.

* Firefox extension for uploading photos.

* Private albums (not just unlisted).

* See your photos on a mobile phone.

17 years ago #

<<i guess we should pay for it because of the video feature.. its kinda like an integration between your photos and home videos..>>

that's silly. uploading videos to Picasa Web = uploading videos to Google Video, which is free.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yahoo run Flickr and Yahoo! Photos. They offer the same features on the face of it – except one has upload limited and you have to pay for a decent limit.

But I think Flickr is definately worth paying for – just for the superior photo management and interface. I tried Y! Photos but even the new AJAXy interface is really not very useable.

What I am trying to say is it is not ALL about the bandwidth limits/storage space. The services are not always equivalent.

17 years ago #

i know..
but its not on the same service..

id like to use the same service.. if theres an option to upload both photos and videos on the same service, why should i upload it to Google Video?

hard to explain it.. :/ but i would pay for it when ill have the option..

Clara [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

There are tons of better photo hosting services than Picasa Web:

--Flickr, cheap, featured and big
--Yahoo, free, unlimited, smart albums, tags, etc
--Bubbleshare, free, great widgets, unlimited storage
--Twango, free, unlimited, multi format (video, photo, any other stuff), super featured

I could continue...

Picasa Web is one of Googles bad products, because its price.

Armin [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Picasa web offers something that none of the other ones offer, which was the deal breaker for me... and that is for everyone to download the WHOLE album with one click. An that is original photos.... not a lesser quality version.

And you dont have to click each photo one by one, to download photos....

Its easy to share it with other people.

17 years ago #

They also have feeds, integration with Picasa, Gmail contacts etc. But still, why pay for the storage? I don't see a good reason.

17 years ago #

What about this?

* Easily add and share photos
   * Unlimited storage!
   * Say goodbye to ads & spam
   * Crop the bad parts
   * Enhance the good parts
   * Personalize with themes
   * Password-protect galleries
   * Retrieve your high-res photos
   * Organize at light speed
   * Buy professional prints & gifts
   * Sleep well with backup DVDs
   * Post photos in blogs & forums
   * Add photos from camera phones
   * Have your own URL
   * Track traffic to your photos
   * Be notified of comments
   * Create private ShareGroups
   * Create and join communities
   * Make life easy with Web 2.0: Tags, RSS feeds, APIs, and Ajax
   * See photos on Google Maps
   * Network with friends and family
   * Find popular photos fast
   * View by timeline
   * Just $39.95/year

http://www.smugmug.com/price/

The only drawback: 6 GB/month traffic

cs19 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Many people overlook a key feature for sharing photos: the ability of others to download a HQ version.

Even at the "Free" Picasa level, you can at least let your friends dl the HQ version.

Yahoo does NOT ever let you download the HQ version – only a low quality one... though the apparently store the HQ version for printing, but even the author cannot re-download the HQ version. (although i haven't used their new beta, so i could be wrong about the newer version of yahoo photos.)

Flickr paid lets you, but i don't think Flickr free version lets you access HQ versions of photos. (am i correct)

I have the paid 6GB on Picasa.

My bottom line: I want to be able to take pics, then share them with friends at their full quality, not some LQ version. It's much more convenient to upload 100 pics at 2-3 MB each, and have friends download the ones they want, rather than try to send out however many emails it would take to email all 200-300 MBs of photos.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<The only drawback: 6 GB/month traffic>>
Not if you are with a Pros account($149.95/year), unlimited traffic, and less expensive, compare to Google's.
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/76404.html#id76505

[Link unblocked – Tony]

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You also need to consider whether any offer is sustainable. You don't want to have to re-upload your pictures to a new service every year or two of your life.

In that sense, the paid Flickr deal looks pretty good. You can use it as your archival storage for the hi-res versions, it's unlimited and it's way cheaper than Google.

The Google deal probably comes second. Google will, in time, be going for volume and from their past behaviour it's unlikely that they will try to milk the market for more money than it costs them.

Yahoo is out of the question for me if it doesn't let me re-download my hi-res versions (in case I get a disk crash at home). And, much as I'd love smugmug's ability to see my photos on Google maps, it seems likely that this ability will be offered by Google at some time.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!