What's So Wired About Google These Days

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, November 21, 2006
17 years ago3,322 views

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/124/wnx4.jpg

Wired: Google buying competing companies
Tired: Google buying innovative companies
Expired: Google writing innovative software

Wired Magazine, Dec 2006 issue, not available online at this time.
http://wired.com/wired/ <-check back later ;)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Haochi, whats the point in making.. ?

I am sure you are trying to say something, but its going over my head!!

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I am not sure if I want to make a point or not... Each issue of Wired have a section that lists what are wired(I think it means "cool" in our word), tired, and expired(out dated)... This month's issue is on what, and how Google makes "new" products, if I am right.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sure it's trying to make a point. The point it's making is that Google no longer writes innovative software ("expired"). Even the phase of buying innovative companies is winding down ("tired"). What they're doing now ("wired") is buying competing companies (YouTube).

It's hard to take seriously such a simplistic "soundbite" as this, but I'm sure that's what they're saying.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well explained... Thanks Roger.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

but this is a classic F1000 company matrix in the making.. Googles is just following known deep economic models and trends..

If you go back to the T series of Ford etc etc.. its spiral of growth, even with Walmat.. They innovated, they bought innovated companies and then bought out competition. The big fish , classic blue ocean strategies phenomena of growth.

So nothing is wrong with this growth spiral. Growth is sustained, by those understanding these forces and learning to harness them. Successful, new-growth business then become more consistent.

The 3big questions that always are asked at this level is ;

1) What products should we develop as we execute strategy ?
3) Which market segments that needs focusing ?
4) How can we know, for sure – that we are on the value pathway ?

btw.. chatter indicates that Google ticker will break the $500/- mark today on NYSE :)-

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!