Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Readwriteweb on GoogleOS

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 22, 2006
17 years ago2,303 views

Readwriteweb sees three possibilities for a GoogleOS:

We see 3 scenarios for a GoogleOS:

* A web based desktop (i.e. operating system)
   * A full featured Linux distribution
   * A lightweight Linux distro and/or BIOS

Google would fight Vista in this manner.
An expected time of arrival following the article: 6 months. (WOW)

Read more on: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/googleos_what_to_expect.php

Personally I do not believe in a Linux oriented strategy of Google. I think they'll try to be completely independent of any OS at all. Firefox they may care for as it is only a browser, and a GoogleOS will be mainly browser based in mo.

What do you think?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>> What do you think? <<

They'll never, ever make their own OS. Why should they?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<They'll never, ever make their own OS.>>
Never say Never :-)
At the moment I do not see Google launching an OS, but 5 years ago, would you have imagined products such as Google; Spreadsheets, Maps, Video, Desktop, Talk, Web Accelerator or Gmail? I know I didn't.

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I personally think that all the current apps will become more integrated, forming a 'OS-like' environment that will run from any browser

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Not only was the writing horrible in that article, I think the content was fanciful, speculative ignorance.

Google will continue to integrate their services. Distribution deals will make Gmail more popular which in turn leads to the other services. They have no need for a competitor to Windows.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>> Google will continue to integrate their services. <<

You're not wrong. But it's a bit damn obvious, no?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Even I could write something better than that.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

In a way, the apps become less relevant once everyone's data is on Google's servers.

Consider GMail. You can already access it through the usual AJAX-y interface, or through a mobile interface, or through a plain HTML interface, or through a desktop email client.

Consider Google Maps. It's essentially the same data as Google Earth, accessed through a browser instead of through a desktop application.

Consider Docs & Spreadsheets. You can access your data through the browser, or by using Microsoft Word/Excel or OpenOffice (although this is not seamless yet). It's a similar story with photos – you can use a desktop application or a web interface.

So, in a sense, the Google Operating System is already here. It's nothing more nor less than the sum total of the Google applications that we use. Over time, these will become better integrated, and one day the bottom-most layer that ties the apps together will indeed act like an operating system.

But it's not as if Google would ever have a product release where they announce that you can now download a Google operating system. It's happening continually and gradually.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Zdnets writes about it too:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Stewart/index.php?p=180

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!