Google Blogoscoped

Forum

On a Given Day, Firefox 2 Crashes...  (View post)

MrJudd [PersonRank 0]

Monday, November 27, 2006
17 years ago15,886 views

FF2 will eat up a large percentage of my CPU and cause "micro-freezes" of my open apps. It lasts about 10 seconds and it is getting annoying. Any one else get this? I monitor the CPU usage via the task manager (WinXP) and it jumps up to 90-95 or 100% usage (speak of the devil...it just happened).

SEOptimise [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I've found that Firefox 2 crashes quite a lot while logged into AdWords and AdSense at the same time (using different tabs in the same browser).

Tim [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Same here. I upgraded to FF2 last week. Constant crashing and a painfully slow browsing experience made me switch back to 1.5.0.8 the other night. Good to know we're not the only ones, though: http://www.plansphere.com/blog/?p=474

MTO [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

No problems here...
Crashes are generally related to specific extensions.
I'd suggest disabling extensions, maybe one at a time in order to find the one that is causing the crashes.

I have over 50 extensions but no crashes (once every 15 days as most). But I do remember removing one that was causing crashes some time ago.

FloSch [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I didn't notice more crashes than with 1.5.x really. Sometimes it crashes with some odd plugin or extension, but that's happening rather seldom for me.

Personman [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

Think I'll hold off on updating for a while yet...

Vivek [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Mine crashes every 20 or so clicks! Was forced to uninstall it and revert back to FF1.5. Though im glad there are others out there who face probs with FF2, i thought i was the only one...after reading all the rave reviews online.

Norbert [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It does crash more oftet than 1.5, but I don't care as long as I can restore the pages.

camelot2302 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have never experienced any crashes with FF 2.0. It DID crash a lot when I was running FF 1.5 and that really annoyed me big time, so much so that I seriously considered switching back to Internet Exploder! But 2.0 has been completely stable for me so far.

As one previous commenter pointed out, FF crashes because of certain extensions that clash with the browser or with other extensions. I remember Firefox crashing because I had the "customise Google" extension switched on to go to a "https" secure site and the "https" part was making FF crazy. So I switched that off and the crashes stopped immediately. So I suggest you check your extensions one-by-one.

To MTO : you have 50 extensions? How long does it take for your FF to open?!!

geniosity [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hmmm... I don't think I've HAD any crashes. And my browser's open about 20 hours a day (it's closed when I'm travelling).

I'm using about 20 extensions, and I always have a minimum of 4 tabs open, up to an average max of 12...

So, I'm a happy FF2 user.

RemcoK [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No probs with 2.0. Safe and sound like I am used of FF.

DiGi [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

No problems, except few errors inside loaded java library with restarting develop server... But all other sites works fine...

Troubles are from extensions...

Paulo Brabo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No crashes. At all.

Lytha [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Been using it constantly since the day it was released, and no crashes yet.

David [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No serious problems for either, it seems much more stable than the previous version!

Henrique Gusso [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

For me too. 2.0 is the best and most stable version yet =)

Billy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Not getting any crashes at all, got to guess it's related to extensions or faulty install.

Katinka Hesselink [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I have had crashes, but not more than with FF 1.5, I think. Session-restore is great when it happens though.

Bruce [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I tweaked the Session Manager extension so it would work under FF 2.0, and had major crashing problems. After I uninstalled it, no more problems.

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

FF2.0 has only crashed once for me, and I expect it to be because I was transfering a mp3 to gmail while trying to login to netbanking via a javaapplet :)

Pedro [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No crashes at all, or if they occur they are related to some "freaky" extension.

Marika [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I had some crashes with 1.5.* versions but the new build has seemed very stable, I've used it ever since the official release. I have about 60 extensions in use, most of them little tweaks a few kilobytes in size though. The only extension I couldn't get to work with the new version is AllPeers Beta, which had some conflicts with NoScript. Session Manager works just fine after tweaking the max version number.

Mike Empuria [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Lots of crashes with 2.0. Never had a crash with 1.5.

blkmagwom [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No crashes here either. Maybe once every couple of days, but certainly not more than once a day!

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Never.

IE7 does crash and eat up all my ram.

Munir [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

FF 2 crashes on average 3-4 times a week. I am seriously thinking of switching back to 1.5.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Since I made the switch to Firefox 2 { http://blogoscoped.com/forum/75796.html#id75950 } it's not crashed once!

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

FF 2.0 is my most favorite browser up untill two days ago. When every I close and restart it, all the configurations are set back to default. Damn. Any help here for me? I think uninstalling, cleaning up the folder in Program files and the %appdata% would help... Hmm.

Ron [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No crashes and fast!!

Agricola [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No crashes. Very Happy with FF 2.0. Don't use too many extensions, so cannot comment on that aspect.

mijlee [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yup plenty of crashes for me too. Usually when there is some kind of AJAX or other heavy javascript action going on.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Usually it crashes on complicated sites with a lot of embedded content. But not more than once a day.

Yves [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have FF2 on several windows XP machines + 1 GNU/Linux (ubuntu).
No crashes worth to mention on XP. Lots of crashes on Linux.

Tom Holt [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Disable "Google Toolbar for Firefox" and see if that helps. I did about a week after FF2 came out and haven't had a crash since. Hopefully google labs is already looking int it.

David H [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Philipp, why don't you give Opera a chance, at least for a while? :-) I'm sure you'll learn to love it.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Crashes for me are on any kind of page, complex or not. Now, the only active extension other than the native "report crashes to Firefox" was the Google Toolbar. So I'm disabling it and will see how it goes.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Perhaps that could be it – I don't have the Google Toolbar enabled...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No crashes for me and it looks to be far more stable than FF 1.5 . Although I did had to disable some extensions that were not compatible with FF 2.0. So maybe those crashes were invoked by those extensions.

The browser is open the whole day and has mostly following tabs permantly open with the Session Manager extension (far better than the built in):
* GMail for Applications
* Yahoo Mail
* Google Reader
* GMail (the normal one)
* Google Blogoscoped (well to be honest, I read it mostly from Google Reader at the moment... so it's only opened up now & then)
* Diverse pages I'm reading from divers news sites & documentation pages from my suppliers...

Ricardo Sánchez [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I have experienced that continuing to use the FF1.5 profile with FF2.0 is problematic. When I updated I could not even start FF2.0. I deleted the profile, keeping just the bookmarks, and it worked like a charm.

I have not experienced crashes, and the loading thimes are slighty faster than 1.5.

Jordan Meeter [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I have FF2 on my laptop, which crashes almost constantly when browsing Myspace.com....

Ian Davies [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Firefox hasn't crashed a single time for me, and I've been using it for weeks!

Raj G [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

FF 1.5.x crashed 20 times a day, now FF 2.0 does the same for me. Starting in safe mode slows the crashing frequency. the best short term solution for my crashes has been to uninstall firefox and reinstall it. crashes re-start after a few days. i have my cache set at 1MB. The only way, I could get it to not crash (and as phillipe puts it, it crashes on all sorts of pages) is by disabling images. the only extensions i have are noscript, google notebook and google backup (which i have disabled lately).

running on a dell laptop w/ xp sp2 & 1gig memory. i have run memtest to check memory as well as have a hdd monitor to see if it is a disk issue.

good to hear that i am not alone.

asadal [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I think you'd better check 'flash 9.0' plugin. Uninstall flash player 9.0 and install it again.

Sam [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

It's definitely Google Toolbar. I had this problem along with many others. Disabling Google Toolbar makes it go away. It's not clear whether it's a Google Toolbar bug or a Firefox bug that the toolbar exposes.

http://groups.google.com/group/FFToolbar-Group-Bugs/browse_thread/thread/ca3472f747045aea/fdc42ce3076cc8f2#fdc42ce3076cc8f2

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

i've several crashes per week
i never close FF, even for weeks, only when windows install updates.
main main problem is FF taking all CPU, especially when offline.
I also have plenty FF extentions (48+)

a big bug, is with the netcraft toolbar, then when there is no network connection, it makes a big blank bar under statusbar.

Royans [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Looks pretty stable to me. I have just about 3 plugins (including google sync tool). I don't have google toolbar though.

On a side note, I've had more crashes with IE7 thatn FF2 at this point...

Ganesh APP [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I lost all my bookmarks yesterday for some weird reason. I would love to switch back to the 1.5.1

Chris [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Dear God, the thing crashes over & over again, not something I ever suffered with previous versions. If it hadn't been for the restore session option being a 100% success I would have un-installed it. Nice browser when it works tho.

ProfileMeister [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

try moving aside all your all your old profiles and creating new ones with FF2.

Rollmops [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I did a clean install when switching from 1.5x to 2.x and it is running very well. It still crashes when there is a page with embedded media and i have forgotten to accept Javascript for that page (via NoScript-Extension). But that's an old known issue...

Mayank [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

No crashes over here either!
I am using Firefox 2 with Google Toolbar and no issues at all. Rather has never crashed for me.....Uninstall all the extensions...use default skin. Then install the extensions one by one....I know it will take hell lot of time...but maybe that's how it will help you :)

Flock is also a good choice...similar to Firefox and a bit more social :)

Me [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

yes, it does since the first day.

Shelly [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

FF 2.0 crashes on average, every other day for me, while I'm trying to get on a site, usually around midnight. I shut it, which takes a while, bring it back up, restore the session, and all is well.

Venu [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Its crashed a number of times from me and the "Restore" session feature of FF2 was put into use a lot of times!! (And I don't use google toolbar!)

Especially when I access https (VPN) sites FF2 freezes!

Paul [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The only time firefox crashes for me is when Adobe Reader is involved.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My experience with FF2 is that it crashes the most when trying to load a pdf file. It will sit and hang for a few minutes and if I hit the stop button, it then goes to "Not responding".

SumpyGump [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I noticed that Firefox crashes when you attempt to open a Windows Media File and if you have the VLC plugin installed.

See this for more details:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes

kevn57 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Crashes every 4th to 5th startup but never when after it loads initially, I disabled everything to stop crashing and finally after disabling the cache set it to 0 MB it hasn't crashed since Thursday unless I re-enable the cache then it will crash again after 4-5 restarts.

Jay Reed [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I had similar problems with RC1. I have the google toolbar and on the actual release and RC 2 with no problems.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have the same problem. I use the toolbar often, it's going to be hard disabling it 'till they update the extension.

Ben Main [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

When I realized that there wasn't anything for which I used the Google Toolbar that I couldn't do with Firefox 2, I disabled it. I think that it crashed a bit less afterward. I have quite a few extensions, but I the only problems I've had with crashing have been associated with visiting certain video sites while having many other tabs open.

So, if you are having problems with Firefox 2 crashing and have the Google Toolbar, I would suggest starting there.

Nicolas [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

FF2 has proven too resource-heavy (as well as slightly unstable) for me, and I have re-discovered the joys of Opera, which so far hasn't let me down.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's crashed for me at 98% of a 1gb file. That was convinient.

Clyde [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It crashed 23 times for me in 2 months.

[Signature URL removed – Tony]

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just as an update, there have been no more crashes for me since I removed the Google Toolbar. A big thanks to all those who pointed it out. Plus, there are good replacements for the spellchecker and the PageRank bar, so I don't even miss the toolbar.

cs19 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

YES! FF 1.5 on my 3-month-old Core Duo laptop NEVER crashed. I updated to FF2.0 and about 40% of the time, when launching, it completely hangs. Nothing comes up. I have to ctrl+alt+dlt and "end process" FF in the Task Manager, then re-launch. I have no plug-ins or add-ons besides Google Toolbar. I completely uninstalled FF2.0 and removed the profile and all residual files, then reinstalled and was left with the same problem.

After reading these posts, I disabled Google Toolbar and after a couple days not one crash.

shamess [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

To be honest, I don't think FF has crashed since my installing it..

AJ [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

FF has blown it. back to IE

John Faughnan [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Lots of quality issues, but considerably worse on OS X than XP. It's doing better since I removed every extension. On OS X I'm mostly using Camino, but on XP FF 2.0 without extensions is reasonable.

It has been quite a disappointing release. They need to catch their breath, rethink their process, and do a true stability bug/fix release and move 3.0 forward. Where's Google in all this?

John Faughnan [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Oops. By move "3.0 forward" I meant move the 3.0 release date into the future, not earlier! The 3.0 people need to drop back and work on 2.1.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i was using ff2 with google toolbar ext installed and had many crashes but as for now i dont have any prob with ff2 since i uninstalled google toolbar

i think google toolbar and ff2 ext messes up together

cs19 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

since posting 6 days ago i disabled the google toolbar and have not had one single hang... not one. For a browser that hangs 20-40% of the time on launch, to a browser that never hangs on launch... i would say that's pretty strong evidence that it is the google toolbar.

SEOptimise [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I use the Google toolbar and have been experiencing problems so it's possible.

Yayo [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I haven't got google toolbar and FF2 sometimes hangs or freezes for a while. I leave it aloe for a while and sometimes is back. But after the return it tends to go slower and must save my mails or whatever and restart it :/

paul [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

For myself, it was definitely related the old version of Google toolbar. As soon as I disabled it, no more crashes. A note with the new one. It can make Google Docs and Spreadsheets your default application for .doc, .xls, and other files. As soon as you double click a file, it launches a browser and uploads the file. Pretty neat.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!