Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Oneboxes "Stealing" Top Spot?  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, November 28, 2006
17 years ago3,598 views

Yahoo also steals the top position, and sends the users ONLY to its own services, so Google does better here. Sometimes the web search results are not the most appropriate, so you need to link to better environments.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=the+departed&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz2

I'm very curious if Google decides to show a (Google) Video OneBox. That would be pretty evil.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> I'm very curious if Google decides to show a
> (Google) Video OneBox.

Well, they do already link to Google Video in their current onebox (the "trailers" link).

17 years ago #

Not always.
http://www.google.com/search?hs=s91&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=borat

17 years ago #

Thanks, I updated the post.

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

It's the whole searching for Yahoo on Google shows Yahoo as the first result, searching for Google on Yahoo shows a(nother) Yahoo search box. Which I think is a bit insulting – surely users know they are using a search engine in the first place.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

not always true Jack.

My parents still don't know the difference between the address bar and the search box, and seem to use them interchangedly (is that a word? it should be.)

I'm confident that if somebody tells them to "google it" that many people will actually think they have to use google or they won't find it.

Conversely, I think the reason so many people search for "yahoo" on google is because Yahoo's useability sucks. Often times, it's the only way I can find stuff I'm looking for (such as the fantasy hockey homepage)

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think the problem with Google own results in the top spot is not that it's there but HOW it is displayed. It fools the user to believe that this is the most relevant one based on the algorithm, whereas it is a "self sponsored" one. Ironically this a tactic many dark grey SEOs will use – making people click on stuff they wouldn't intentionally.

So if Google stops fooling people into clicking this and makes it easily recognizable that the searcher will move to a different Google service by clicking, it will be OK.

Something like "Google Movie Search results:" and a border or background-color would perfectly suffice.

17 years ago #

I think it looks different from a search result: it has an icon, a search box, many links.

17 years ago #

> It fools the user to believe that this is the most
> relevant one based on the algorithm, whereas it
> is a "self sponsored" one.

What makes you think Tadeusz that Googler engineers don't consider this to be the most relevant result though? Google does not push irrelevant stuff often, and when they do they sometimes later on remove it (e.g. their Froogle link that was removed from the Google homepage).

George R [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The onebox does not count as an official result.
If you request 10 results, then ten more will follow.
"I'm Feeling Lucky" will skip the onebox.

If you do not want the onebox try using "allintext:".

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=allintext%3A+the+departed&btnG=Google+Search

17 years ago #

Still, whether you call it "result #0" or "result #1" or "unofficial result" or what not, it's placed on top...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> I'm very curious if Google decides to show a
> (Google) Video OneBox.
they already did that for Olympic Games and FIFA Worldcup

and for some tests too
http://208.101.20.98/~stephen/sub/video_onebox.PNG

17 years ago #

Maybe a music onebox would've been more appropriate for weird al.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!