Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Orkut passes myspace, fast growing social network ever.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, November 28, 2006
17 years ago3,137 views

Markus is reporting some interesting stat's (even thou, I think that alexa flawed!!)

http://plentyoffish.wordpress.com/2006/11/28/orkut-passes-myspace-fast-growing-social-network-ever/

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

orkut = 34 mil users
myspace = more than 100 mil users

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Orkut pageviews are north of 10BB a month right now and surpassing Myspace pgviews counts (at least thats what I understand)...

Having 100M user who visit once a month is not the same as having 35M visiting every hr ..big difference on adsense serving ..correct ? :)-

more details here.. http://btwohig.wordpress.com/

17 years ago #

http://ms1.blogsome.com/2006/11/11/myspace-continues-to-rule-social-networking/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yes, its so unforunate that the article you point too, is US centeric.

"Five percent of U.S. Internet visits went to the top 20 social networking Web sites in September, with MySpace getting 82 percent of those visits, according to Hitwise."

Note:"U.S. Internet visits"!!! :)-

17 years ago #

Ok, I'll keep digging.

17 years ago #

September 2006 (ComScore)

Worldwide Traffic
—————————–
MySpace — 78.3 million unique visitors
Orkut — 15.7 million unique visitors

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How MySpace has become so popular, I'll never know.

It's truly, truly awful to use.

17 years ago #

Peer pressure.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's where teens feel home, 'cause their parents don't get it, just like their parents don't get why a crowded room feels more comfortable to them. It also feels less big corporatish 'cause it's all so uglyish amateurish. Like punk is ugly yet beautiful, like a crowded & complex mind has the appeal of the mysterious. Like teen life is confusing, too. Well, that's at least one theory... :)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Very true. I guess I must just be getting too old for it all...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think that basically the point in the inital arrticle takes into consideration pgviews – which is the primary yardstick (?) for adsense dishing ?

yeah, I take Markus's view point seriously (met the guy in Meshcon) and his property iss earning him 500K/month on adsense. Secondly, Bradley is in VC business and knows (or rather should know), the value prop that are emerging..

so taking this into consideration, may give the topic a different spin and viewpoint ..couple that with India adsense teamnow dishing out Local ads!!

I dunna, just out of the box thinking on my part here ?? :)-

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's awesome to see how Ionut can break the arguments of an other just with a link or 3-4 words by post :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

folks also have to remember that google did a $900m deal with Myspace some time ago...so reality google is buttering both side of the slice on all properties ..as it props up orkut...!!

....follow the money trail, you will see strategy in the making..numbers a just numbers..look beyond numbers to see what else is in the boiling pot!!

Forsight is just as much needed as hindsight :)-

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!