Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Presentation...?

Ariel Harlap [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, November 29, 2006
17 years ago3,875 views

Any guesses on when/if the google presentation project will begin?
Features I'd like to see:
   – Collaboration (as in docs & spreadsheets)
   – Present it with voice (& video?)
   – Embed videos & google spreadsheets in the presentation
   – Export it as a pdf / odp / ppt format.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just to confirm, do you mean something like PowerPoint and / or Webex but from Google?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It would be nice: Google Docs, Spreadsheets & Presentations.

Ariel Harlap [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Yeah exactly. Webex is more what I had in mind. I know it's nothing novel, but I think it'd make a nice suite with docs & spreadsheets.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Presentation = a kind of PowerPoint + Google Videos?

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why not add video conf & remote presentation too it, immediately.
That would make the integration with Gchat complete...

luckymurari [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nice idea would like 2 see it

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[Moved from "When will Google presentation appear?" – Tony]

Will there be a Google style powerpoint application? And when do you think It will be out?

Tony, are there and internal project names which you think point towards a google powerpoint application?

Surely they must be working one one. How could an office suit be complete without one.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And why you might think they are working on an office suite? :-)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What makes PowerPoint slides different to pages in Word? Not much. Maybe just page size (since slides don't scroll). And a few useless transitions or animations, I guess. So I'm sure the developers at Google could knock something up in a few days using technology from Google Page Creator (and possibly Google Docs).

Whether they want to is another question. Personally, I think they might make it a "type" of document rather than creating a whole new application/service for it.

It should then be fairly straighforward to improve their document collaboration features so that a "host" user can move between slides (or pages) whilst other users are viewing the document. Integrate that with Google Talk and you've got a neat presentation application like WebEx...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My thoughts are along the same lines of Tony... a Powerpoint presentation webified isn't that different from plain page concept/ HTML. Indeed, in my old companies I used to create presentations in HTML in the beginning, just 'cause I despise PowerPoint I guess! But then I realized that it's much harder for some people to grasp the concept of a presentation not being a PPT file attached to an email, so maybe if Google wants to have a presentation format and they want to reach this target group – a very important one! – then they must probably make it very PowerPoint like, and call it "Google Presentations" or something... and allow PPT export :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!