Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Big Idea Challenge  (View post)

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 29, 2006
17 years ago7,026 views

Cool and encouraging, but why just in UK ?

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It does look pretty cool. It is always odd to see something in print about a company you are always used to seeing on the screen.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

are you going to submit an idea sam? i'm thinking about it...

[Moved from old thread – Sam]

17 years ago #

I am only a first year. There are a fair few things that I would like to see them do though. But most of the things I would ask of Google are improvements to current products and not new products in themselves.

Notice how on the leaflet it says "Google Local". A service that doesn't exist.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Local? Just Google Maps?
http://local.google.com/

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Notice how on the leaflet it says "Google Local". A service that doesn't exist.>>
It's still on this page [ http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/] But it links to maps any way even though that's the one bellow it

Attila Csordas [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Many thanks, it's worth a trial. But for me the URL: http://services.google.com/marketing/links/bigideachallenge/
is not working, I wonder why.
Cheers, Attila.

ian [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

My big idea is to get a bunch of students to send me their ideas with the lure of a job interview, and then steal the best ones.

My second big idea is to not be so bitter, twisted and cynical.

17 years ago #

With the Google Local thing I was kind of gesturing to the time at which the flyer must have been prepared. Since it April they dropped the Local name (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/04/back-on-map.html).

Then again it could just be an oversight I guess.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I am so GUTTED that it's only open to University students. Hopefully they'll have something similar in a few years time.

Attila Csordas [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Please give the email details here. Thanks.

Chris Crum [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Sounds like a good way to get work out of an applicant before they are even hired. Brilliant!

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Anyone is welcome to use my idea for the Big Idea Challenge!

YOU can finally make a Google browser!

Not just a plain-old ordinary browser, but a truly revolutionary browser:

The “Google Freedom” browser would try many, many methods to route search and web traffic for sites and words banned in China and elsewhere. It would update itself frequently to add new methods as dictators discover and block existing methods. Google would determine all sites which are blocked in any way (including those Google censors!) and create temporary mirrors of the content, encrypt the content, and transfer the content.

Thus, search for “human rights in China”, and the famously censored hrichina.org would be instantly mirrored to a randomly-created IP address (to bypass domain/IP filters), and delivered in encrypted form (to bypass content filters) to the end user in China or elsewhere.

The "Google Freedom" browser of course should have plenty of "cool" features and gadgets, and integration with other Google products; but those are mere icing on the cake compared with helping to bring freedom to billions of fellow residents of Earth.

Take a look around this world--is there any project with a higher priority than freedom? It's a fact: free countries don't fight free countries.

I think most of us would like to see wars, terrorism, and dictatorships vanish; and a truly free flow of information can help people free themselves. It could happen in both China and Iran within a few months of gaining unlimited freedom of the internet. If you live in the U.S., Europe, or Israel, you may help save your own country from threatened Iranian atomic bomb attacks if the current regime is overthrown soon enough.

Freedom: that's the ULTIMATE Big Idea Challenge! Can you handle it?

(Remember, on Google's "Master Plan" [see postings here], a Google Browser is listed as the prerequsite for the "Google OS"!)

17 years ago #

For those people who cant see the page – it says:

Graduate Jobs at Google
We are looking for final year students and recent graduates who are creative and think differently. By answering the question posed above in the The Big Idea Challenge*, you have the opportunity to impress us and get a job at Google. Your answer can be in any format you choose; this might be a business plan, schematic diagram, presentation, or just some text. The top entrants will be invited to the Googleplex in London to meet the team and talk through their Big Idea.

* This must not be an existing Google product. (This is our favourite interview question)

How to Apply
Email your idea and CV to bigideachallenge[put at-character here]google.com
Include a detailed academic record and tell us your area(s) of job interest from those below
Applicants should be final year students or recent graduates
Start dates are flexible in Summer/Autumn 2007 or earlier if you have already graduated
Closing date for applications is January 5th 2007
To help you understand exactly what area you will enjoy most at Google, please take some time to read the descriptions below.

[ cut]

Hong XIaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I am sorry. I am in china. I have no chance to attend this wonderful games.
I think the next or nexts should be many many.

It is sitebases.org here. It is my idea based on sitemaps, RSS2, CC and Baidu News Opening Protocol.

I do not know if it is whole new idea? I am from the Earth that have UK. So can treat me as from UK?

justin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

big challenge idea?

how about the entire planet in hi-res on Google Maps.

Come on Google , i've been waiting for the south of england for ages now.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My big idea is an Answers service.

It could be sort of like Yahoo Answers, except that customers would be charged a fee, and qualified researchers would be paid a portion of that fee.

This would keep answer quality high, providing a professional up-market service that would be great for Google's image, and userful for customers.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Neat idea Roger! But in order to bring customers to the service, I'll add one feature: Google must actually link to their service :)

Stephanie [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hi all,

I work for Google in their graduate recruitment. We are really keen to hear all of your ideas!

You can submit your application for this competition very easily- just email your idea and your CV to bigideachallenge[put at-character here]google.com.

Don't forget to attach a copy of your CV!

While it is aimed primarily at final year and recent graduates all students can apply.

Remember the application deadline is the 5th January 2007.
We look forward to hearing from you!

Good luck!

Stephanie

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!