Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Innovation?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 30, 2006
17 years ago3,937 views

What was the last Google product which really showed innovation? And you can't include products which they have aqquired, or aqquired the technology for. Thought it would be interesting to see...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm struggling to think! Calendar maybe?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Docs/Writely ?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well Writely was brought so that doesn't count. I'm talking abuot inhouse products. (Soreadsheets was also brought by the way)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Maps?

That was the last release that really impressed me. Not because of what it was, but how it did it.

Was that developed in-house? I know there were other maps sites using similar interfaces but I'm not sure whether Google bought that or not...

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

dpneal: I think there is not so much innovation in new products, but innovations in functionality. The 'webservices' introduced into spreadsheets are quite innovative imo?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well Writely was brought so that doesn't count.
> oops ^^

So, IMHO, the latest great innovation may be "Google News Archive Search", or at least "google code search"

Yu [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

search (internal theoretical work) you can look at their publication history or machine language translation that owned the competition at NIST.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Translator Arabic, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Calendar & Google Spreadsheets... albeit Google Calendar and Spreadsheets are probably the closest to what competitor's already did.

FofR [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

what is the latest entirely organic innovation?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think the latest versions of Google Books, Google Groups and Google Reader are extremely well-done.

The latest innovative product: http://www.google.com/trends , which exposes many useful information hidden inside Google servers.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Video has innovative UI absolutely.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!