Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Quitting the Job, Digg-style  (View post)

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

Friday, December 1, 2006
17 years ago8,662 views

wow what A great way to get free advertising for your own website.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Something about this doesn't quite seem right to me? That blog is interesting; I may dig deeper..

SirNuke [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Ryan's conclusion seems to be same conclusion the Digg commenters came to as well.

Unfortunately, most Diggers vote upon the description, not upon the comments or even the actual page.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

He's surprised at the results but promises it's no hoax:
http://www.geekcapital.com/2006/12/01/suprise-at-digg-results/

What's kinda weird is that the blog is very new, though.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

well, assuming he's doing nothing shady... and the site is legit (i didn't check any of it out)

then what's he doing wrong? He came upon something viral.. (it DID get you to link right?)

It's no worse than the million pixel website thing.. good for him I guess?

I've never liked the Digg style sites anyway. There's no incentive to add stuff (unless it's your own) and there's no incentive to "digg" stuff.

Mathematically, the limit as N goes to infinity of Digg = Spam (where N is the number of users)

Disclosure: I used to be an editor on shoutwire.com, a Digg clone. Either way.. I think these sites are doomed to spam, as there's no incentive for users to improve them

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have an incentive to digg something (or flag something) because I may want to see the site succeed... to push the good stuff to the top, and to get rid of the bad stuff. Simply because I like the site and want to help make it useful, like a trade, you give (help digg) and you take (read digg, get to see the top stories).

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh great. Hopefully Digg doesn't end up like Facebook where you see a lot of "If this group reaches 100,000 users I'll…" type groups.

alek [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I hope Matt Cutts will post a follow-up on what he uncovers per his comment above ...

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The blog has been threatened with legal action!

http://www.geekcapital.com/2006/12/02/geekcapital-threatened-with-legal-action/

Dan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Everything was a fake. Here are some of his Digg submissions:

-Is Yahoo and MSN traffic more click friendly?

Theory surrounding speculation that traffic from Yahoo and MSN generally result in a larger click through rate on websites that use adsense.

-Adsense Account Banned but Reinstated very quickly on popular blog!

Google recently banned ads on a popular blog – googlesystem.blogspot.com – because it had google in the URL name. Roger Browne makes an interesting remark – ‘But it shows this: Even with Google, it’s not what you do or what you know that counts, it’s who you know.’

-Indian Blogger Earns $6000 a month from a single blog!

While reading Digital Point Forums today, I came accross a thread about an indian blogger currently earning $600 a month from a single blog using adsense. Now, compared to many US and UK bloggers, $6000 a month are not particually high earnings, however for an indian publisher, $6000 a month is pretty impressive.

[and more like that]

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If only I'd read the update he posted on Friday, I could've met him for some drinks – he lives in the same city as me and was out drinking just round the corner from where I was that night!

Anyone know where he supposedly worked before quitting his job?

justin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

8175 diggs

http://digg.com/tech_news/Get_me_out_of_this_job

wow... thats a lot.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tony – I live there too! I wasn't there though on the night specified.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!