Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Partners with Teach For America  (View post)

mak [PersonRank 5]

Tuesday, December 5, 2006
17 years ago4,559 views

Do you think we reach a time when no more "human" teachers are needed anymore? Now that elearning is evolving into new dimensions...

I was discussing this with a friend (a teacher)

Iolaire McFadden [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Forbs magazine just had an article on Teach For America re: how corporations are looking at them for help in recruiting. Teach For America was highlighted as the one (the only) organization that multiple people will turn down high pay job offers with the top consulting/finance firms to take the Teach For America positions instead. Google should be a good influence rather than other firms which want to learn how to hire from Teach For America.

JennyPenny [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Few of my professors have online courses where students can learn on their own (view taped lectures, ask questions to profs in a chat session, etc.), but my profs say few students sign-up for these "e-learning courses" and that the in-class lectures always fill-up the fastest.

I prefer to learn with other students sitting beside me and have the prof in class with us. I don't think I'll ever sign-up for an online course unless I absolutely have to.

I'm not a teacher, but I think teaching is a rewarding profession mainly because of the real (in-class) interactions you have with your students in class. I don't think teaching will be as rewarding if you teach using the internet.

Plus, what will the students do during breaks and lunchtime? Have a web conference with their friends while they eat? That's just too weird for me. I like having my friends in front of me so that we can share carrot sticks and chips.

Anna SebestyƩn [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Congrats, Google, this is a very welcome move. Teach for the World coming soon.
(I hope) (It is simply frustrating not being in the Google Universe geographically, or having to patiently wait ages till novelties, extras reach Europe too – and this refers to AdWords opportunities as well).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!