Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Check Other Email Accounts

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, December 9, 2006
17 years ago6,397 views

<< Now Gmail can check for the mail you receive at your other email accounts. You can retrieve your mail (new and old) from up to five other email accounts and have them all in Gmail. Then you can even create a customized 'From:' address, which lets you send messages from Gmail, but have them look like they were sent from another one of your email accounts. Please note that you can only retrieve mail from accounts that have POP3 access enabled. Learn more >>

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/whatsnew_getmail.html

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=%67mail&hl=en&answer=21288

This is a big feature! And one that is always requested... BUT they are still making you use that From: work around for sending mail out – which is not quite perfect.

Not enabled in my account yet.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Not enabled in my account too :-(

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have these two options;

"
When I receive a message sent to one of my addresses:
[X] Reply from the same address the message was sent to.
[ ] Always reply from my default address
(Note: You can change the address at the time of your reply. Learn more)
"

17 years ago #

That is not the new feature Inferno – that has always been there.

or [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow, Gmail just got ten times better. This solves a problem for me. I have an e-mail account that only allows pop access, and does not have a web interface. It's frustrating because I cannot access those e-mail when I am away from my computer. But now I can use Gmail and access it from anywhere. I hope Google roll this out to all users sooner rather than later.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well I doubt Yahoo and Live have POP3 access.

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wait can't Google use Yahoo Mail's new API

17 years ago #

Live definately doesn't have it. I am not sure about Yahoo.

or [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's interesting. Doesn't Windows Live Desktop allow access to Windows Live Mail, and pop access to other accounts. So I can access Gmail through Windows Live Desktop, but Microsoft does not allow me to access their mail freely through other services. What a way to lock users in. Gmail seems to be following a pretty open strategy to email, and communication in general (Gtalk)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Sohil: I use Yahoo POP3 access for years now to read my other mail accounts...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

To get POP Access, you must subscribe to Yahoo! Mail Plus.

Tiago Lopes [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

this is cool.
when i reach full capacity in my primary gmail account i can always relocate the mail to another account.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!