Google Blogoscoped

Forum

use gmail to send mail from [invalid] net address

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, December 17, 2006
17 years ago2,450 views

as you all know netaddress.com Aka Usa.net is one of the oldest email service which was offering free email service but unforuntately it switched to paid service .

Currently it allows you to create a free email account for 2 days trial but with gmail accounts adding option i think its better to add the usa.net address in the gmail settings and verify it.

Now its easy to send a mail from @usa.net even if we dont have the account but recieving in the sense is not possible...

So ultimately i think google is going to struck in lawsuit for this feature that enables the email delivery from an invalid address

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is a good point – and it obviously doesn't just apply to usa.net addresses.

I think the only solution for this would be to periodically verify that the email address. That would truly be a pain though...

Then again, most email applications allow you send email from *any* email address. Some ISPs will restrict the domains from which they will relay mail, but plenty of others don't care. In that sense, Google's doing much more than most anyway.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hm, nice. works also with mac.com
but then you are not able to receive mails from your usa.net (or whatever) adress.

> Then again, most email applications allow you send email from *any* email address.

php also do. :)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

SMTP (mail transfer protocol) does, and that's enough. Sending mails form any email address is built in the mail protocols, Google isn't creating any new hole or anything like that.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!