Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Track Google Bugs  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
17 years ago8,081 views

And who accepts/rejects the bugs, who sees them? Google has internal systems for tracking bugs (Mondrian ?).

Oh, and Google is not an open-source project.

RC [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Great idea. I am too tired to keep sending them emails about those silly bugs. Atleast I will know, I am not the only one facing them.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I considered doing this when it was brought up in the forums a while back. Thing is, it seemed a little... pointless. I suppose there's a slim chance that a couple of Googlers will look at it, but really? If they don't have time to read the feedback / emails / groups for their product I don't see them going out of their way to check a project page.

Plus it's not really an open source project so it could all get deleted on a whim if Google decides it's not complying with their Project Hosting TOS.

Then again, I may be being cranky and instead Google will think it's a great idea, take over control, and make it the official Google Issue repository. Could go either way ;)

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey, I had an idea and want to test it out. If anybody is interested in a little project I am running, drop me a line to cocaman[put at-character here]gmail.com. I think this will be a better solution then just a tracking solution on Google Code.

And yes, I know the text looks weird, but it really is me :)

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://googlebugs.cocaman.net/
Any feedback is very appreciated!

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think reporting bugs via Google's bug tracking system is a pretty great idea. I'll mention this to other people at Google.

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i'm currently the administrator. if anyone wants to help moderate the project just e-mail me at seweso[put at-character here]gmail.com

and i don't mind if google gains control of the project. but i guess the unofficial part of the project has its benefits.

[put at-character here]matt, is the internal bug tracking system e-mail based, or is that only on the ourside? does it share code with google hosted project?

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Althoug Google already offers ways to submit bugs on any of their services, its convenient for outside parties to do their own bug tracking system, which in turn brings more attention to the outside party and helps Googlers see the importance of user's frustration with certain problems.

AN [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Could someone add the broken link: operator? We've heard in the past that Google doesn't want the blackhat SEOs to know too much, but broken is broken.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hmm that was actually useful... Wouter Schut

17 years ago #

Wouter, I'm going to ask someone to email you about adding a Googler with the ability to triage these bug reports. I think we'd like to try taking this on as an experiment and see how it works.

It will only be for reporting bugs; things like "why doesn't my site rank higher?" or "I want help with a question" will have to be pruned pretty aggressively, because there's already a user support organization and user-to-user support groups that fill that need. But I'd love it if Google could get useful bugs reported this way.

Sander [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

And what about enhancements?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think it's mostly for bugs right now. Maybe a separate group for "feature wishes" tracking once this experiment is a success?

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Matt Cutts, I think (and hope) my quick rules scare of most people who want to report personal issues with google. I want verifiable errors which currently get lost in Google Groups and user-support.

[put at-character here]Sander and Philipp, I do want to use the issue tracker for feature requests also. By using the stars you can digg-like measure the demand for a certain feature.

I also think it's sometimes hard to distinguish between bug and feature. For example look at issue 29:

http://code.google.com/p/googlebugs/issues/detail?id=29

so I guess bugs and features should remain indefinately in the same project.

17 years ago #

Just fyi, Vanessa Fox is going to ask someone to keep an eye on this list and report issues to the correct teams.

chandrakant [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Matt Cutts, I think (and hope) my quick rules scare of most people who want to report personal issues with google. I want verifiable errors which currently get lost in Google Groups and user-support.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!