Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Goes Portal [Mockup!]

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
17 years ago2,521 views

All previous posts about Google becoming a portal got me thinking...

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/80070.html

Would it be at all possible to be serious about it? In the end, I decided it's quite impossible to take it seriously. Take it how you want... but I was a bit bored...

"INTRODUCING GOOGLE SPRINGBOARD (Test)"....

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2745/springboardsa0.png

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

nice "Mockup",
but i don´t think so.
i think a gmail like design is more probable.
(my own opinion!)

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Isn't that what the personalized Home page is supposed to be?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice mockup, but this page wouldn't be minimalist enough for me... too cluttered! But you set out to "portalize" it so it's a success, I'm no big fan of portals :)

I think, as Johnweb mentioned, Google's moves in that direction are their Personalized Homepage. In the end they have to become more than just a 90s portal, they may want to replace the Windows Desktop/ the OS/ MS Office itself. Right now, my Windows desktop shows a couple of icons – the stuff you show to the left might be analogous, though I'd definitely label them or else it's "mystery meat navigation" – as well as a hidden but expandable task bar with more icons. Something like this might work online as well (I'm not a big fan of the Personalized Homepage at the moment, also because of its tabs, and non-minimalist approach).

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yeah thanks for the compliments. It wasn't meant to be a totally serious one... not completely refined.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Cool one Joe!!!

i really liked it :)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

erm, although i wrote "i think a gmail like design", i hate portals; at least at google or a other search engine; sometime a portal isn´t bad; but only unusual!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!