Google Blogoscoped

Forum

AdSense Blacklist to Increase Revenue  (View post)

Katinka Hesselink [PersonRank 2]

Saturday, December 30, 2006
17 years ago8,416 views

This has been around for a while. Some people claim massive increases in revenue while others don't see any improvements. Some even see a decrease in income.
In general I think it's safer to just limit the amount of ads on a page – so that there is no room for the lower performing ads.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The concept is very good. I actually block as many MFA sites as I can and that site has a good database.

MFA sites use arbitrage to serve users pages with much more expensive ads. The problem is that many users click on their ads and increase their CTR. That's why you'll see them at the top often.

The new algo for landing page quality has improved the situation.

Glen Johnson [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have been using this for about 2 months now. I saw an increase in the payout for my clicks within days. It has leveled off now but for with the low paying sites being filtered out days of having 100 or more clicks that pay $1.20 are over.

Grimmthething [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I am going to give it a try. I am averaging 59 clicks a day with a cpm of $2.54 , I am adding the 50 they provided on the site.

Doug Karr [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I also saw an improvement in my revenue when I added the companies that were suggested. One thing to keep in mind is to ensure you analyze the before and after with respect to the traffic on your site. My site continues to grow – but my revenue took a much nicer leap after adding the blacklist.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I'm going to try this out. I've been getting about 3 cents per click on noslang.com so it's not like it can really hurt me.

I wonder if it works for YPN or not? I've tried it for one of my YPN based sites just to see if it helps...

I doubt it will, as i've never seen any ads from those sites on my sites.

Florian [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Did anyone try that for a non-english site and non-english keywords? The results I got where not so usefull.

17 years ago #

From what I know, Romanian is not supported in AdSense for Content. Probably most MFAs are in English.

Allard P [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Make an account, it will then trace the (bad payed) ads on your site. Then give it an other try. Probably then you will see more usefull results in the language you want.

Florian [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

There ara enough MFA Sites in german too (i am from Germany). But I was more about the cost per click thing.

Sam [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Google has now started evaluating landing page quality for content network ads too – http://adwords.blogspot.com/2006/11/landing-page-quality-update.html

The lower the quality of the landing page, the lower the quality score will be and consequently the higher the cost-per-click of the ad. Thus advertisers having adsense or other advertisements on their landing page will have to pay more, which means us publishers will earn more too. (Personally, I've noticed an decrease in all those MFA ads and an increase in revenue on my blog since Google introduced those changes.)

TheRaveN 2.0 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

1. I was running this test for ~ 3 months (En sites). Tip: Cut the list in 2 and take the first cut only. Not bad if you maintain your list.

2. In Hebrew, It's working 100% (although there is no Google Adsense for content in Hebrew*...;-)). This is because large companies started advertising lately with Google and they invest the minimum. Take them off (Heep.co.il, Flix.co.il Ynet.co.il .etc.) and you'll see the difference.

TheRaveN 2.0

* It's working for over a year unofficially. Last week Goog' and Tapuz (Israeli Blogs site and more) started Beta tests.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

thanks for the site! i blocked 199 urls from the site's database....

lionc [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

From what i saw in other forums,
google also place ads according to CTR
so even an ad is in the top of the list
it may not be the one with highest pay but with highest CTR

and i have tried with my site
i see increase in earning

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Why does Philipp gets blogspot.com as the first blocked result? Is it related to the page being a google service?

From what you can read on AdsBlacklist.com it seems as if only MFA websites are blocked.

17 years ago #

What serious advertiser would promote a blog on blogspot.com? It's either spam (MFA) or a very cheap ad.

The same for: geocities.com, googlepages.com.

oliver [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

In my case it increased the revenues (which are low ;) between 30 and 50%).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm giving this a try and inserted the list into my AdSense account. Though I use one AdSense account for many sites, I'm starting with this blog...

pip [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

i think google should lower the quality score for sites that are included in a majority of blacklists.

it's quite simple, that there must be something wrong if many publishers opt out of those sites. and it's an easy to use collective criterion.

they would be stupid if they wouldn't use it for MFA/Arbitrage-detection...

Yvo [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I personally check every ad with the adsense preview tool weekly (check mutiple countries). When you see only BIG ads on the landing page and scrape content, I always block that domain.

Because these MFA sites are very well targered (with site matching keywords in the ad, title, desc, and landing page, etc) they are PREFERED by google adsense over less targeted BUT higher paying ads.

(ps, if you see a number in the domain, discriptive sub-domain, or a .info you should block these 9/10)

Brandon Lockaby [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

-------- Quote --------
I find the idea intriguing but at the same time, I’m confused – shouldn’t Google already make sure to earn you as much as possible, by comparing prices etc., because it’s in their best interest (as they get a piece from every dollar you earn)?
----------------

Traditionally, this was the case. But since they placed the quality score algorithm on the content network, it would make sense if the ads that pay the most are not necessarily the ones that rank the highest.

Brandon

Reddy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

i have implemented this on 25th January and my revenues had a clear jump of 30%.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!