Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Some Users Lose All Gmails  (View post)

jonass [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, January 3, 2007
17 years ago7,709 views

a small workaround to backup your emails is enabling pop3 on your gmail acc and then fetching to local archiv

Yu [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

One click backup would be excellent. If they plan on being a replacement for existing mail agents in business (like outlook) this is essential.

Yawning [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

60 users is not "many" as your first link would indicate. 60 users out of millions is barely a drop in the bucket.

ibrahimali al harbi [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Ilake chenge my email name to ather name becuse I try to sigin to google I have trabul mebe from I tring befure in yahoo also I cant sigin so mebe from my setteng system or ather prablume I dont no please help use to anter to chenge email address name to ather name in google

Dave [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Totally agree about the backup – I love gmail, but have a private terror that as I'm not popping it elsewhere I've got no way of exporting my emails anywhere else. It's enough to make me look elsewhere.

piotr [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

If 60 users is "many", then what is 6,000? A bazillion-gajillion?

Googlaxy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Should be possible to export all our messages to Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird and Mac Mail. Yes, there are distinct formats. "This is not a mistake." "Have a nice day."

PS – 60 users, officially!

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

OK that's made me update my Thunderbird backup

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't want to backup my emails myself, I want Google back it up for me!

Luca Zappa [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Gmail is stil in beta .... ah ah ah

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They have backups, but when you delete your mail that backups are deleted too. It seems fair to me.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree, if Google kept your backups for a while after you delete a message then quite a lot of people would be concerned about privacy (I wouldn't, but I personally know people who would)

oogle has a system in place that doesn't make it easy to delete a message by accident without recorvery, all deleted messages are sent to the Trash folder for 30 days (unless manually emptied) before being deleted.

Manoj Nahar [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I have downloaded all my emails(1.3 gig) using Thuderbird in few hours. It downloaded ~300 mails at a time. Other than few time outs it was pretty smooth.

Some issues with this.

1) it downloads sent email which gmail saves as a normal email and goes into inbox.

2) If you are using lables those would be lost.

So in a way you can have all your emails but true gmail experience cannot be relapced by any mail client.

Google should do a desktop based email client that mimics the onlinne version.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

how many clicks to delete all mail?

- go to "all mail"
- click "select all"
- click "select all x conversations"
- click "delete"
- go to "trash"
- "empty trash now"

I bet this can be easily automated.

rtms [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I've been looking for this sort of backup for awhile now and also hope that they or someone comes up with a hack/plugin etc to backing up certain emails/folders to my hard drive.

Pierre [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

FWIW, Opera mail client has supported labels for years (I'd say it was in M2 back in 2002).

Now I don't know if there are any clean ways to keep gmail and opera labels+mails in sync.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

It's funny. The statement in their privacy policy that deleted mail may remain for a while in their backup systems has drawn a large amount of criticism from privacy advocates. But in this case, such a system would have enabled restore of all the mail, and would be praised as a feature. Seems Google can't win either way.

Ghostein [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I have downloaded all my mail from gmail into portable thunderbird and rared that to compress the size into half.

Also have backed up all my contacts and saved tham as csv file.

I am not sure how bad the situation is with Gmail, but I have never regretted erring on the side of safety.

I encourage all those who read this to do the same, I understand apparently it has affected only around 60 accounts – I am not willing to take the chance.

Be prepared than be sorry.

--
Ghostein

Tiago Serafim [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I think that they should intruduce some kind of CAPTCHA everytime that they detect an suspicious action (..., select all X conversations, delete.).

Bas [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

more on this toppic.. http://www.seoegghead.com/blog/seo/gmail-lost-7-days-of-my-email-p175.html

James [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

yea, i've had my emails deleted before like that, but no message like that comes up. no contacts are deleted, either. it doesn't matter, though, i don't check my email much anyway

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!