Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Deli.cio.us to Custom Search Engine  (View post)

Aaron Bassett [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, January 4, 2007
17 years ago4,548 views

Doesnt work on my del.icio.us account (http://del.icio.us/foobr)
I think it is just too large :(

Vik [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Hi Aaron – Could you email me vik.singh [gmail]? I'd like to fix it so it scales and works for you.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like the jab at the rival search engine.The third note in step 4 reads:

"3. That's it! Now go play with your new search engine (and make fun of Kosmix ...)"

Vik [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I've fixed several bugs and added password encryption for all post-login requests. I hope this encourages more users to try out the service. Check out the blog link from this article for more details.

Stan James [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Lijit (www.lijit.com) provides this same service as part of a larger suite of options. It automatically updates your search engine every 6 hours and supports most other social bookmarking services.

Even moreso, Lijit brings in the blog posts and bookmarks of people in your social network.

And lastly, Lijit makes your custom search into a widget which you can then place on your blog.

Okay, it does a lot more too, and we're working on even cooler features. Full disclosure: I'm the CTO of Lijit and prone to talking about it any chance I can get. :)

You can reach me at www.wanderingstan.com with any feedback.

Vik [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Hi Stan – Cool product!! Although I wouldn't say "it does a lot more too" though ... for instance, the main feature for my tool was to use statistical machine learning in the background to provide the best 4x5 refinements onebox display on the top of the search results ... which lijit does not provide. Regardless, a very cool mashup ... I just like a tool that gives me more control over the search (i.e. not having to use a lijit widget to search) but then again I'm pretty biased just as you are :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<The main feature for my tool was to use statistical machine learning in the background to provide the best 4x5 refinements onebox display on the top of the search results>>

Do you think that by merging some tags you obtain something useful? Here's some of my refinements:

Programming_science_java_c_random_algorithm
Google_gmail_howto_mail_hacks
Activex_microsoft_patent

They are too long and look ugly. It would be nice to drop the refinements and just import the original tags.

Vik [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Actually those label names are not generated by the algorithm. Looks like a parsing issue for tags which have whitespace. I'll fix that – try running the program later on today.

Vik [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Ok the tag parsing is fixed. For some reason I thought the tags were comma separated in del.icio.us' XML. Try it and tell me if it works.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!