Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Steve Jobs Unveils iPhone  (View post)

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

Tuesday, January 9, 2007
17 years ago10,532 views

This has huge potential to revamp the whole phone playing field. If other companies become competitive about this, we could have an entire revolution of phone-based technology, maybe a sort of second-coming of laptops? I could see a cheap, decent phone/laptop hybrid, slowly combining all of the electronics we use in daily life.

I think the first model or two will be amazingly inefficient (those screens look like the wear-out/scratch easily) but within a couple of years, I think we have the next big thing.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yahoo is offering the free email address to go with it! Google, where you at?!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah, this is going to be big..!! PC World had the chatter up first

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128463-page,1/article.html

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

THIS IS GOING TO BE MASSIVE – read more here

http://www.macrumorslive.com/

When will it ship?

Werner Nieke [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

My first thought, when I saw it: "Uhuh, welcome to Newton's (the device) descendants." Not only for the touchscreen, that's almost a must-have with such a device, but for touch gestures and such.

I'm still awaiting something A LOT more massive than this to live up to the mouthed announcement "make history today". A new phone, history? Get outta here...

I'm thinking more along the lines of licensing OS X to the big bad guy over in Seattle or something. THAT would at least scratch the surface of making history...

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Very cool – but can't it just be a LITTLE bit smaller?

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Things are starting to get exciting. Google Maps is fully integrated... and Eric has just appeared on stage to talk to Stevey!

"You can actually merge without merging"

Google and Apple have just MERGED! Kind of...

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But Yahoo Web Search built-in (??)

What?! Stick to one company!

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Steve Jobs' keynote with great pics. The iPod Nano + iPhone is freakin' sick!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/live-from-macworld-2007-steve-jobs-keynote/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

just in... $499 – $699 – is the price – Q1/07 end is when it will hit consumers (?)

Market is reacting big time...!!

17 years ago #

Actually June is the release date for the iPhone in the US. They're announcing it now so the FCC doesn't announce it whenever they receive approval from them.

Nate [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

But it's for Cingular

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< We wanted the best web browser on a phone – so we picked the best one in the world, Safari. We have Safari running on iPhone – it's the first fully-usable browser on a cellphone. We have Google Maps. >>

There you go. There is a God that's answering our mobile web prayers after all. And he's called Apple.

17 years ago #

I don't know. I've always thought "Apple" was a she for some reason. :P

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That price is with the 2 year service contract. I understand they will also be available "open", so that you could use it with any network. I cringe at what that will cost.

TonyB

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/dsc_0173.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/dsc_0182.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/dsc_0183.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/dsc_0203.jpg
GoogleMaps!

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google Maps! http://www.apple.com/iphone/internet/?feature=feature04

17 years ago #

TonyB: Good point. Standard SIM-free (unlocked) phones in the UK can cost £400+ so this thing is going to be seriously expensive. I wonder who they'll partner with in the UK for the connection...

17 years ago #

BTW, Google Maps in that demo looks more like a Google Maps for Mobile application rather than Google Maps.

Edit: Oops. Just read the description:

<< With Google Maps and iPhone's amazing Maps application, you can view maps and satellite images, or get directions and traffic information, all from iPhone's remarkable, easy-to-use touch interface. >>

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

with lockin (Cingular) – what really is the benifit to the generic user base ?

I dont like cingular and they dont partner's overseas... so that leaves me with a device which is only "useable" in the north america's.

So much for single finger userinterface.. :)-

17 years ago #

I think when you think about the cost you can't really compare it to other phones out there today. This thing is seriously advanced. And I bet it is still very state of the art in June.

That said – I still think it is overpriced.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You say it is seriously advanced. But what does it DO? It's an IPod with a phone. Will it have organizer capabilities like a Treo or Windows CE type phone?

The interface appears to be nice, by it strikes me as over priced for what it is. Maybe 'm missing something.

At /PD- They are not locking into Cingular. Cigular has been announced as the US carrier, so I am sure there will be other deals announced for other parts of the world. In addition, Apple has said the phone will be available "open" so that you can use it on any carrier, as long as it uses the correct standards.

TonyB

17 years ago #

<< Will it have organizer capabilities like a Treo or Windows CE type phone? >>

If there's an application that does this that runs on OS X then I guess it's got it.

I think the innovation here comes from its interface rather than its features. Jobs is right. Interfaces on phones are really, really bad. They're too fiddly. They're redundant most of the time. And the little extras (like the sensors to turn the screen off when you hold it near your face) are simply genius.

It is overpriced but it can afford to be overpriced because there is no competitor... yet. (And will there ever be since they've got it patented? Someone else will have to come up with a better/different interface quickly if they want to compete!)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(I updated the post based on the comments.)

17 years ago #

Nice browser interface. The tour shows they thought really hard about usability. Can't wait to play around with one of those to see how well it really works, interface-wise. I'm willing to give up on my low-usability Windows Mobile OS any time...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/internet/?feature=feature01

17 years ago #

Edit: I added the 2 megapixel camera bit.

Zoo [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Still, it is way too much for the consumer market and it will be very hard to sell it as it is right now. Except for a few gadget geeks, this thing will just sti in the shelf. Apple missed the boat sadly :(

17 years ago #

>> a few gadget geeks

A few gadget geeks? I bet it'll be more like millions of gadget geeks!

They didn't miss the boat – they just took the more expensive, luxurious, faster boat instead... ;-)

17 years ago #

BTW – not sure if any of you recall this – but Cisco announced a product some time ago which was dubbed "iPhone" and it was revealed that they own the trademark on the iPhone name. Anyway, here's what Cisco released today:

<< Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today, Apple intends to agree to the final document and public statement that were distributed to them last night and that addressed a few remaining items. We expect to receive a signed agreement today. >>

A "signed agreement"? What a pleasant change to read something like that instead of threats and court orders being sent all over the place!

Via Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/cisco-is-expecting-signed-agreement-on-iphone-trademark-today-227504.php

17 years ago #

> Except for a few gadget geeks, this thing will
> just sti in the shelf.

I think it will appeal to rich non-geeks too, as it seems to be really easy to use. Sort of the thing the tech geek will suggest to grandpa.

Also, I think some people who otherwise would've bought an MP3 player + a phone can now buy just a single device, so then the price seems more reasonable as it's like two products in one. I might just sell my iPod to finance this, having a phone + iPod seems redundant and I'm a big fan of good usability :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"At /PD- They are not locking into Cingular. " –

ok --so which telco does cingular partner with in the EUs, FEA and Asia ?? Zippo , nada to my knowledge!!

So this leaves me with a device which I cant use other then the US ??

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

/PD- Why does Cingular have to partner with anyone? Apple can hook up with whoever they want elsewhere in the world. For that matter, I don't see anything about this being a long term/exclusive deal with Cingular in the US either. I suspect Cingular is just the initial launch customer.

I have to agree with the comments on price. No one I know, other than you guys, would spend $400 on a cell phone, even with a music player. For that matter, I know lots of people with $100 IPod nanos, but no one with the larger/more expensive IPods.

I think Apple may sell a lot of IPhones, but I don't think it will go mainstream at that price.

Are you saying it is running the full-blown OS-X?

TonyB

17 years ago #

More like $500 actually ... $499... (something like 380 Euro...)

17 years ago #

TonyB, I think the point /pd is making is that if he gets this phone, he won't be able to use it when he travels to other countries.

<< Are you saying it is running the full-blown OS-X? >>

Unless I've misunderstood what I've read, I believe it's the full version of OS X:

<< "Why would we want to run such a sophisticated OS on a mobile device? It's got everything we need. Mulittasking, networking, power management, graphics, security, video, graphics, audio core animation..." >>

From: http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/live-from-macworld-2007-steve-jobs-keynote/

<< All the power and sophistication of the world’s most advanced operating system – OS X – is now available on a small, handheld device that gives you access to true desktop-class applications and software, including rich HTML email, full-featured web browsing, and applications such as widgets, Safari, calendar, text messaging, Notes, and Address Book. iPhone is fully multi-tasking, so you can read a web page while downloading your email in the background. This software completely redefines what you can do with a mobile phone. >>

I guess it's a bit ambiguous – i.e. "desktop-class applications" rather than "desktop applications" – but the premise remains the same. It's certainly powerful enough to have "organizer capabilities like a Treo or Windows CE type phone".

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That´s the first one IPhone. First. I´m sure that in upcoming years we will see sort of iPhone Mini/Nano with lower prices etc. But now, iPhone is the best phone ever and it has to cost the most.

17 years ago #

BTW, the full Keynote Address is online to watch now:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/keynote/

Which redirects to: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

(Skip to 00:26:20 for the iPhone stuff.)

Oren Goldschmidt [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

My take on it;

http://e-cclesiastes.blogspot.com/2007/01/windows-mobile-team-at-steve-jobs.html

[Updated URL to permalink – Tony]

17 years ago #

> apple.com/iphone/keynote/

Weird, I'm having problem playing those (I'm on Firefox). A player opens up and then it's an endless wait for a live stream, or a garbled image. Quicktime plays fine on other sites...

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Cisco is licensing the name (they own it) to Apple: From BetaNews.com:

A representative of Cisco Systems, which acquired the iPhone trademark by way of its Linksys division having acquired Infogear in 2000, told BetaNews this afternoon that it is offering to license its trademark for Apple's use, and has drawn up papers to that end.

"Given Apple's numerous requests to use the iPhone trademark, and extensive discussions with them," the representative told BetaNews, "it is our belief that with their announcement today, Apple intends to agree to the final documents and public statements that were distributed to them last night, and that addressed the last few remaining items. We expect to receive a signed agreement today."

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Apple stock go "WHEEEE!!"

17 years ago #

RIMM stock go "AHHHH!!"

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

tis poll indicates early adopters will move to iphone :)-

http://lucafiligheddu.blogspot.com/2007/01/poll-best-multi-purpose-mobile-device.html

17 years ago #

Anyone 'sporting' a functional cerebrum would switch to the iPhone, they're talking about integrating a full-blown, well-designed & adopted OS into a machine the size of a Samsung SGH-X820 which met King Solomon amidst a baby-splitting scandal... Seriously...

17 years ago #

They seem to claim it is running OS X. I don't really know enough about Operating Systems to know what this means. From what we have seen of the UI I can't imagine that you can use any OS X apps on it. But maybe the changes programmers have to make will not be too severe & therefore you will be able to get any sort of organisational stuff that you want on it.

As far as I am concerned what you are paying for here is a computer. This is more than an iPod. And more than a phone. It is really something else. Can't wait for the second generation...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sam : " I can't imagine that you can use any OS X apps on it."

"9:51am – It let us create desktop class applications and networking, not the cripled stuff you find on most phones, these are real desktop applications." He's quoting Alan Kay -"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." "So we're bringing breakthrough software to a mobile device for the first time."
"

xeen [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I've got a question, what's so special about iPhone? OK, it looks nice and is probably quite easy to use. But my dad's (relative) old PDA pretty much can do the same. Of course, it doesn't have 4GB and no "iPod wheel" and so on, but you can use it as phone, mp3 player and organizer. I believe it runs Windows CE or something, I didn't bother having a look at it, so I guess you can install other software as well.
So, this is more like a PDA running OSX? Can anyone tell what's so great about the iPhone, apart from being easy-to-use (sadly, easy-to-use somewhat became a rarity in the mobile market) and just including modern technologies?
xeen

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Instead of Googlezon we get iGoogle first ;-)

17 years ago #

TonyB: Where are you getting it's going to be open to non-Cingular networks? Everything I've read / heard say it's an exclusive partnership (but they haven't announced their overseas partners yet). I've not yet seen any evidence that you'll be able to 'unlock' it from Cingular – let alone how much an unlocked version would cost.

The other big question is how open it is in terms of development. Early reports suggest it's going to be completely closed, with no developers kit. What good is running OSX if you'er limited to what it ships with?

I (really) hope it's more open than it appears (both in cariers and development), as that thing's incredibly cool and I want one :)

17 years ago #

> So, this is more like a PDA running OSX? Can anyone
> tell what's so great about the iPhone, apart from being
> easy-to-use (sadly, easy-to-use somewhat became a
> rarity in the mobile market) and just including modern
> technologies?

If the OS interface approaches which Apple used are pushing the mobile platform onto a next generation, then that would be something special, at least. Current mobile phones, smart phones or PDAs are still suffering from bad interfaces. I'll have to use the phone to see if it's really easy-to-use though.

17 years ago #

It *looks* really intuitive, the sort of phone that anyone could pick up and figure out. I wouldn't say that about my SE910i, which while a fully blown Symbian smartphone, is so unintuitive it's counter intuitive. I've heard reports that it has a nice tactile feel but typing is difficult. A lot of people are wary of a phone with no tactile buttons for dialling too.

The problem (as I see it) is that at $600US + contract, the regular Joes who might be tempted to use a smartphone if it were less unwieldy are unlikely to fork over that kind of cash for one – particularly as they already have a phone the got for $0 + contract and a IPod / Nano.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

For me what is going on with Apple is kind of sad. They were a computer company, suddenly they were successful with an MP3 player so Steve Jobs ONLY talks about a new iPod with calling abbilities and Apple TV, he didn't mention the word "computer"! Oh wait, he did, when he was saying that the word will b removed from his company's name. Whereare Leopard announcement from his mouth? Where is anyhing else than just following wut the crowd liked for the last year or two? Where is Apple's identity?
Ok my poem ends here..

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sorry guys, I see now it is exclusive. That said, I bet it will be more widely available down the road. Many new phones such as various Treos have been exclusive for a short while at release.

For me, Cingular won't work because they don't offer coverage in my part of rural Iowa.

TonyB

17 years ago #

I've always hated the way mobiles are often closely tied to networks. I've never bought a phone on contract (outright all the way!) and don't plan on starting now.

It's like buying a notebook based on a contract with your broadband provider.
"You can have the Sony Vaio, but only if you get a two year contract with AOL Broadband."
"'Ah... What?"

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

After watching the demos on Apples website, I am much more excited than I was. For me, the key will be how open it will be. As Rob pointed out, if it is locked to the software it comes with, it still is overpriced for me. If I can run lots of third party apps, than I will be very interested.

TonyB

17 years ago #

FYI, regarding the OS, from Gizmodo:

<< The OS: It isn't OS X proper, as you'd expect. >>

From: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/macworld2007/gizmodo-iphone-hands-on-part-deux-why-isnt-it-white-and-other-questions-227575.php

Not sure what that means exactly, but if I'm reading it right that probably means it's a mobile version of OS X. If so, that's a bit misleading of Steve Jobs to say it runs OS X (and it's therefore not as revolutionary as it could've been because loads of smartphones already run Windows)...

17 years ago #

Really depends on what they mean by 'proper'. I presume it's running the same kernel, but obviously there's going to be a lot of different libraries running under the hood (and a lot of irrelevant ones missing). Will be interesting to see what developers think of it, if they get the chance.

Incidently, here's why I think the iPhone will be successful (or not!):
http://blog.radioactiveyak.com/2007/01/5-reasons-why-iphone-will-fail-dominate.html

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Cisco Systems Inc. says it is suing Apple Inc. in federal court over
the use of Cisco's registered iPhone trademark.

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

here is the story
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/techgames/10331879.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA

17 years ago #

Hahah. I'm getting some popcorn. Two trademark/ patent giants battling it out...

justinf [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

the whole iPod thing just passed me by – i never really had an interest in getting an iPod (i dont commute to work , i work from home – i've never really wanted my music in my pocket). But I *will* be getting an iPhone when it comes out in Europe.

the thought of having a full blown OS X computer in my pocket is what is most appealing to me.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"I've got a question, what's so special about iPhone? OK, it looks nice and is probably quite easy to use. But my dad's (relative) old PDA pretty much can do the same."

its all to do with the interface and the user experience. there were lots of mp3 players around when the ipod came out, and yet the ipod managed to conquer that market. why? the interface and ease of use.

Design is also a big part of it. People seem to "love" their iPods, much the same way as folks fall in love with the latest Ferrari sports car – but you dont get people drooling over the latest say, Toyota. Sure, a Toyota just works, but it doesnt have the design of a Ferrari. Thats a big aspect i think – and yeah, looking at the first photos of the iPhone, i myself am drooling over it. its an object of beauty and desire.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< Cisco Systems Inc., the world's largest networking equipment maker, sued Apple in San Francisco federal court on Wednesday, claiming that Apple's iPhone violates its trademark.
Cisco is asking the court to forbid Apple from using the name "iPhone," which Cisco has held a trademark on since 2000 and used to brand a line of its own Internet-enabled phones that began shipping last spring and officially launched three weeks ago. >>

taken from:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070111/ap_on_hi_te/cisco_apple

[moved from new thread. -Philipp]

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

hmmm.... looks like Cisco Systems has owned that trademark for years.. Apple might be up against it.

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why wait until June? You can buy the iPhone now!
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Promotion_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1165633244027&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

ahahahhahah :)

17 years ago #

Does the iPhone really run a full version of OS X? Oren provides a pretty reasonable answer:

<<Do you really think that if this phone could run 'Final Cut – Mobile' or 'World of Warcraft – optimized for iPhone' Jobs would be showing you the God-damned weather?!>>
http://e-cclesiastes.blogspot.com/2007/01/read-on-this-is-actually-iphone-post.html

17 years ago #

i think Nokia N95 will be much better than iPhone..
i still dont get it.. whats so specail about it??

(just like xeen said – http://blogoscoped.com/forum/82285.html#id82371)

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://www.iphoneunboxed.com

Funny. Someone created a fake iPhone box, manual, and more and took photos of himself opening it for the "first time".

17 years ago #

i found an AdWords ad which says you can win an iPhone :
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/win-an-apple-iphone-at-trendhuntercom/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!