Google Blogoscoped

Forum

OT: Any Joost beta-testers here?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, January 16, 2007
17 years ago4,989 views

As you may have heard, the new project of the Skype founders is called Joost and it's TV on the internet. Apparently existing beta testers can invite others, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum might be a beta tester with invites :)

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Number of invitations you can send: 0

sorry
and the page kinda sucks...

17 years ago #

Ah, ok...thanks anyways Corsin! Hopefully the service will improve as they gear up to go public.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeah I just had a bad experience on the install.. it sez I have no sound card.. grrrr.. and me is running media center of this sandbox!!

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I´m in but it doesn´t work for me, some strange problems with connection. And as many people write the same thing – it´s apparently not a minor problem, at least at some countries.

Otherwise it looks as pretty cool service, I bet that they will have succes this year. That´s how I see television in future.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

jilm : which zone (Country) Are you in ?

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just read this thread. I currently have 2 invites for Joost. Shoot me an email to pacificd[put at-character here]gmail.com and I'll set you up.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have one left.
http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/5995/gmail6jl.png

17 years ago #

All out now.

Hope the 2 of you enjoy. :-)

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Thanks again Dave, I'm not managing to watch videos yet though. Just the Joost loading animation... for a long time. Even the What's Popular videos don't seem to work.

Anyone managed to get it going properly? How long does your load usually take for a long video?

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sounds interesting...would like to try out..please send on to
http://services.nexodyne.com/email/icon/EtxHSF048ECxGA%3D%3D/jIcrGlI%3D/R01haWw%3D/0/image.png

Thanks in advance!!!

Horcrux [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

If anyone has one, please send me one to info[[put at-character here]sporeuniverse.net . Thanks in advance. ;-)

17 years ago #

I don't understand all the hype about it. I won't say it sucks, but it is kinda lame. All you can do is watching music videos of Snoop Dog, Paris Hilton, Greenday and so on and the content does not change very fast. I was more hoping on something more like TV, not just crappy videostreams of stuff I don't care and I only watch once.

17 years ago #

Corsin, I agree and I think that is the ultimate goal, but it's certainly not there yet. I was experiencing some lag in videos on a 6 Mbps connection (though this could be because of high usage recently) and was not finding much content...particularly live content. But all of the articles written about the service have been mentioning that the content should ramp up as they approach public release.

Plus it's got a pretty slick interface :)

Hopefully it does become more like internet TV rather than limited videos-on-demand.

17 years ago #

"Plus it's got a pretty slick interface :)"
Hmm do you use a service because of that?
Check this screenshot:
http://www.blogg.ch/uploads/zattoo.png

this is all I need. A video window, a channel list. I do not need a chat window to read what other people think about it, I don't need plugins for Gtalk/Jabber. For that kind of stuff I use real clients. Everywhere happens the same: everybody wants to merge all services into one software. It might be usefull, but not in software I only need to watch TV/VoD...

17 years ago #

That's true...I liked the simplicity and the transparency of the interface, but found the whole plugins idea to be pretty useless. The thing that would make me use it is content, and that's not there now. Live TV would be interesting since you could use a TV tuner but this would truly work everywhere. And other than that videos on demand are nice if there is a large collection of them. But at the moment there's not much reason to use it.

17 years ago #

"Hmm do you use a service because of that?"

Actually a lot of people do. Take Gmail for instance. After Gmail went "big"... everyone else did too. But none offer a UI as Gmail. I use to hate emailing before Gmail... now it's a pleasure to. Believe it or not but most people prefer visual attraction over practicality... especially at first glimpse.

Streeter [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Sounds like Joost is turning out well. If any lucky person still has an invite left try to send one my way at Streeter2764[put at-character here]gmail.com. Thanks

--Streeter

Sanjay Upadhyay [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Here's a request for an invite .. if any kind souls can lend them out..
supadhyay AT gmail DOT com

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Can I have one to impervious265[put at-character here]gmail.com

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have joost . its not working. its slow

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

pd: Czechia. It´s already explained – some troubles with non-ASCII characters using in Czech alphabet. Next version should fix that.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!