Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Selling Your Orkut Community  (View post)

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 18, 2007
17 years ago5,099 views

It doesnt matter who owns the platform, the only thing that matter is the creator and marketer.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

But Google could delete that community at any time. They have a right to do that. If someone had just purchased it, would they be entitled to a refund? I'd be interested to see what clauses were in the terms and condition of sale – that's if it was sold in the first place and if there were any terms...

chris joseph [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I don't think Google will ever delete an orkut community. And a community having that much of members worth more amount.

[Signature URL removed. -Philipp]

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]But Google could delete that community at any time. They have a right to do that. If someone had just purchased it, would they be entitled to a refund? I

i think the dealing should be underground and it should not be published

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Forget selling a community, I think they should just sell Orkut and be done with it.

Darnell Clayton [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Gee, thanks for the promo spammer.

Anyways, thanks for pointing this out Phillip!

What I think Google should do is simply add Orkut to the Google Apps package and allow users to create their own forums on their site.

Rodrigo Jaroszewski [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

"Floripa Tem" means "Floripa Has." The city itself is an island, and it lives mainly out of tourism in the summer. There are parties like that in every big coastal city in Brazil throughout January and almost all February (they generally end by the Carnival).

About Orkut, Google should:

1) Realize the Orkut brand is as strong as the Google brand in Brazil;
2) Realize that the average Brazilian earns less than 200 USD;
3) Realize that, because of that wage, banking billet is the mainstream way of buying online (and *not* credit card!);
4) Realize that many people make birthday gift lists in Orkut;
5) Use Google Checkout with that in mind to own *this* market before PayPal does it (people buy on americanas.com.br and submarino.com.br because of the banking billet option, that's why they lead here).

Besides protecting themselves from lawsuits through a disclaimer, I think that those community sales are on the best interest of Google. It is so because nobody cares who is the owner, as long as they are allowed to discuss whatever the subject of the community is, and do it freely (in all the meanings of the word). Once that doesn't happen, the Brazilians go to other communities. Many people don't even discuss, they're just there to show publicly a pattern of behaviors (you'd know through the communities to which I subscribe that I like Tolkien and Douglas Adams, was born in 1984, that I shout at my TV when playing Winning Eleven, and that I hate olives – even though I never posted in any of those communities, and some I never read).

Summarizing: Communities in Orkut are analogous to tags in del.icio.us, where the users would be the bookmarks (and, thus, the primary interest). I'd say that in 95% of the time it doesn't matter who owns the community, and 50-60% of the time it doesn't matter *what is discussed* in there. Its most important function is to define who relates to whom in a particular aspect – be it surname, year of birth, feeding habits, gaming habits, musical preferences, movies they liked, etc. Once you've got a new friend in your already gigantic list through that community, the only chance Google has of seeing any Brazilian Reais in their account is through the birthday reminder, but by then who owns community "X" is irrelevant.

If those commercial communities *do* work, Google can sell, let's say, ready-made virtual shops, perhaps? Those events have their own "gear" to sell (much like Hard Rock Cafe has its own t-shirts, caps, etc.) and would perhaps be willing to sell on the spot. That service could be sold to the community owner. That's basically why I think it'd be good to know what can happen if those community sales are allowed, what kind of deals can be made...

I hope to not have bored you (or to have strayed out of the subject).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!