Google Blogoscoped

Forum

WikiTrivia Categories  (View post)

Subflux [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, May 26, 2005
19 years ago

It seems that a score is added as I play. Have you a high-scores web page where I could type my name if I do well?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

I'll be thinking about it, but the main problem is that I would then need to go to great lengths to avoid cheating – and since the questions can be found on Wikipedia, this is next to impossible.

Usman Tilly [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

Would it be possible to limit all the trivia to ONE word answers only? cos that would be much easier to judge than these obscure 2-3 words put together...perhaps starting off with easier Qs and then start increasing the difficulty of the Qs.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Or how about letting the user request a "tip" that will tell them how many letters / words there are in the answer, like you get with crosswords or hangman.

(I spent ages thinking of a three-letter answer when I first tried it out, only to realise that the number of question marks had no relation to the number of letters in the answer!)

19 years ago #

Great suggestion Tony. I've updated the quiz, and the number of question marks will now represent the actual number of letters.

Usman, I'll keep this in mind. Could you give more examples ofhard 2-3 word questions?

Usman Tilly [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

not so much hard as being obscure...

e.g.

I got this Q

This is a ??? notable for their contributions to software, either as original author or architect, or for later additions. See also: Game programmer, List of computer scientists Free Software authors A – B – C – D-F – G-H – I-J – K-L – M – N-R – S – T-V – W-Z A Clifford Adams – author of the UseModWik ...

Answer beginning with L.

The actual answer being List of Programmers

which one would never think of or more likely would not realise wot kind of answer is required.

However, i really like wot u have done with number of letters and separating the words. Keep up the good work!

Adam Steinert [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

I had to try and guess "Valence Band", from an article all about semiconductors. Problem? I thought I was in the 'Music' section.

However, this is now much improved, and I like it.

dave bug [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

I'm wondering if it'd be good to not use any answers that come after "Redirected from." Those either are extremely easy (since they're some variant of a later used word) or impossible (since it's some unknown misspelling or poorly chosen word combination).

dave bug [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

Oops, just saw someone else mention this same thing on the Images board. Thanks for the good work, this is getting really fun.

James A [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

Your answer "Paralell worlds" is wrong.
The right answer was "Parallel world". Yes, I saw the s after it, but forgot.

People often have the full name after their article name: ?????? ???? Hilary Ann Lisa Duff

Also, what's with the "please wait"? Stopping bot access?

19 years ago #

James, the "please wait" is just so when my server gets stressed by too much traffic, I can increase this value to say 10 seconds. Mainly, it should allow for people who still want to play, but it will slow down those who will click through to fast on questions they don't know the answer to. I just decreased this to 3 seconds so it should be really harmless at the moment, while my server is still OK. I first built in this "feature" when my Google Image Quiz was crashing my server...

Josh McCreton [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Any chance of removing the need for accents in answers (limited character set perhaps)? For example:

Your answer "Reunion" is wrong.
The right answer was "RĂ©union".

19 years ago #

Sure, I'll do that.

19 years ago #

James, the "Hilary Ann Lisa Duff" problem is fixed.

Josh, the accents need now to be correct anymore.

Carl Lands [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

The answer was "human extinction"; I guessed "extermination". I second Usman Tilly's observation of 5/26/05 that something has to be done about 2- and 3-word terms – but perhaps the answer string should be changed to indicate only what the answer is, without stating that the anser is necessarily wrong just because it's not an exact word match?

Good work, anyway!

Alan Connor [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

<i>Your answer "Encyclopedia of Autralian rock and pop" is wrong.
The right answer was "Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop".
(Strange answers? Discuss.)</i>

:(

Reto Mueller [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

maybee excluding really long answers would be a good idea?
try guessing:

The ?????? ????? ??? ???? ????? ??? ????? has been ?????ed since 1984. The ????? has had several minor name changes: From 1984 to 1991 the ????? was known as ???? ????? Pop Performance From 1992 to 1994 it was ?????ed as ???? ????? Pop ????? From 1995 to 2000 it returned to the title ???? ????? Pop Performance Since 2001 ...

Answer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Latin_Pop_Album

Graeme [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I think I'd enjoy the game but mine asks me one question then gets stuck on "please wait". I left it for a good 20 to 30 minutes and tried in both Firefox and IE.

Any idea why that might be?

18 years ago #

Graeme, that's fixed now, thanks!

Chris Pelling [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Nice game, but it's a bit scatterbrained at times...

From the Programming category:

"Aerial photo (looking NW) of the Washington Monument and the White House in ??????????? DC. ??????????? ????, officially the District of Columbia (also known as ????; Washington; the Nation's Capital; the District; and, historically, the Federal City) is the capital city and administrative district of the United St ..."

Answer: Washington, D.C.

Um. How does Washington DC have anything to do with programming? :-)

I also keep getting quite a few questions where the answer is object-oriented programming, which is quite easy to guess after the first time!

Still, it's entertaining and an imaginative use of Wikipedia, so well done!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!